Huh, Turns Out We’ve All Been Pronouncing ‘Marriott’ Wrong
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It turns out, Marriott — which, among being one of the most well-known hotel brands in the world, is perhaps one of the most used terms to ever grace The Points Guy — isn’t pronounced how we thought.
According to a report by Travel and Leisure, Marriott, when pronounced correctly, should rhyme with “chariot.” Not MarriOTT, as if to say the last syllable of the word like we’d say ‘otter.’ Thus, Marriott joins the hall-of-fame for most mispronounced travel brand names, nestled right between ‘Lufthansa’ and ‘Barclay.’
Also — interestingly enough, the proper pronunciation of Marriott can be heard simply when you call any customer service line. So, the answer was right in front of us all along.
Marriott International also just hit a milestone recently with 7,000 properties worldwide following the opening of the St. Regis Hong Kong. It has also recently announced a new ambitious project in New York City in which it plans to build a 26-story hotel in just 90 days. The new spot, called the AC Hotel New York in NoMad, will be the world’s tallest modular hotel when it opens in 2020.
Featured image by Feature China / Barcroft Images / Barcroft Media via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees