What’s in A Name? TPG Readers Weigh in on Marriott’s New Rumored Moniker
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a whirlwind of a year for Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest customers. Although the two brands formally completed the biggest hotel loyalty program merger in history this past summer, at least on paper, thousands of customers still find themselves struggling with the new hybrid system.
But Marriott promises a fresh start is on the horizon, including a new name for its loyalty program. A leaked peek led to fresh buzz this weekend… although not exactly in the direction most patrons probably expected.
According to reliable sources, Marriott’s elite customers may soon find themselves referring to status-related shenanigans as part of the Marriott Bonvoy program. Second-to-highest-tier Platinum Premier Elite members will also be switching metals, at least in name, to Titanium Elite, while top-tier Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador will become Ambassador Elite.
Predictably, the name is… different… and TPG readers have some thoughts. As commenter Mark exclaimed, “Did they ask Kim and Kanye to come up with a name!?”
Here’s What TPG Readers Had to Say
“Relax everyone, these are either codenames, a joke, or one of the devs is a crazy Sia fan.”
“Suddenly IHOb doesn’t seem like the stupidest marketing idea…”
“Ridiculous, stupid name. New marketing people needed.”
“With this new statement from Marriott, I think it is clear they intentionally leaked this to generate publicity. If they didn’t, then they have a major leaker because other big leaks happened in April.”
“Name is so bad that Marriott should seriously say Bon Voyage to Bonvoy!”
Featured image courtesy of Marriott.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.