Marriott Will Build a 26-Story Hotel in Just 90 Days
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s largest hotel company will soon lay claim to having the world’s tallest modular hotel when the AC Hotel New York NoMad debuts next year. Unlike, well, pretty much every other hotel ever built, this one isn’t expected to take years or even decades to build. Instead, Marriott says the project will be completed in just 90 days.
“In North America, the construction process hasn’t changed significantly in 150 years and it’s ripe for innovation,” Eric Jacobs, Marriott International’s chief development officer of North American select and extended stay-brands, said in a statement. “The world’s tallest modular hotel, in one of the world’s greatest destinations, will act as a game-changing symbol to ignite even greater interest in modular among the real estate and lending industries.”
The hotel’s 168 rooms will be fabricated in a factory in Poland complete with painted walls, flooring, beds, sheets, pillows and even bath products. The finished modules will be shipped to New York City, trucked in during the night to avoid traffic and assembled on site. The lobby and restaurant will be built using traditional construction methods, but the rooftop bar is expected to be modular, too. The 26-story tower will rise 360 feet tall at 30th Street and 6th Avenue.
Construction will begin in the fall and is expected to take about three months — much faster than traditional construction. According to modular expert Danny Forster, whose firm, Danny Forster & Architecture, designed the project, construction will take place at, “the rate of an entire floor per day.”
Marriott cites the fast construction pace as a result of the ability to build the public spaces on site using standard processes while simultaneously fabricating the rooms off-site. The brand also claims that prefabrication, “curbs site waste and noise, and results in a higher-quality product produced with factory-level precision.”
The process requires more capital upfront, however, which can make these kinds of projects harder to finance.
Modular construction isn’t entirely unprecedented in New York City, but it’s still unusual. The Pod Brooklyn was built using this process, and so was the design-forward CitizenM Bowery, which opened last year. Marriott has built a handful of hotels using modular construction, but this will be the brand’s most ambitious application of the unusual method to date.
Featured image courtesy of Marriott International.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees