Royal Air Maroc is officially Oneworld’s newest member
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Moroccan carrier’s membership was effective April 1, confirmed Oneworld spokesperson Ghim-Lay Yeo. The airline adds around 34 destinations, primarily in Africa, to the alliance’s network.
Royal Air Maroc’s entry into the alliance came with little fanfare amid the novel coronavirus pandemic. The carrier has suspended all international flights due to the virus with some domestic flights in Morocco still operating.
However, Royal Air Maroc has already forged ties with some Oneworld members. The carrier and American Airlines launched a codeshare in December, and it has partnerships in place with Qatar Airways and S7 Airlines.
For U.S. flyers, the entry of Royal Air Maroc into Oneworld solidifies mileage-earning opportunities with American — both for redeemable miles and for elite-qualifying status.
American was due to begin seasonal service to Royal Air Maroc’s Casablanca (CMN) hub on June 4. However, the Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier is slashing international capacity by 90% in May and postponing many planned seasonal routes due to the impact of COVID-19.
Nichelle Tait, a spokesperson for American, says the airline is still evaluating its summer schedules.
If American launches its Casablanca flight as planned, passengers will be able to connect onward to numerous Royal Air Maroc destinations in Africa. Codeshare cities are due to include Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire (ABJ), Lagos, Nigeria (LOS), and Luanda, Angola (LAD).
Royal Air Maroc serves Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA), New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Washington Dulles (IAD) in the U.S., according to Cirium schedules.
Featured image by Benét J. Wilson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.