Royal Air Maroc is officially Oneworld’s newest member
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Moroccan carrier’s membership was effective April 1, confirmed Oneworld spokesperson Ghim-Lay Yeo. The airline adds around 34 destinations, primarily in Africa, to the alliance’s network.
Royal Air Maroc’s entry into the alliance came with little fanfare amid the novel coronavirus pandemic. The carrier has suspended all international flights due to the virus with some domestic flights in Morocco still operating.
However, Royal Air Maroc has already forged ties with some Oneworld members. The carrier and American Airlines launched a codeshare in December, and it has partnerships in place with Qatar Airways and S7 Airlines.
For U.S. flyers, the entry of Royal Air Maroc into Oneworld solidifies mileage-earning opportunities with American — both for redeemable miles and for elite-qualifying status.
American was due to begin seasonal service to Royal Air Maroc’s Casablanca (CMN) hub on June 4. However, the Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier is slashing international capacity by 90% in May and postponing many planned seasonal routes due to the impact of COVID-19.
Nichelle Tait, a spokesperson for American, says the airline is still evaluating its summer schedules.
If American launches its Casablanca flight as planned, passengers will be able to connect onward to numerous Royal Air Maroc destinations in Africa. Codeshare cities are due to include Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire (ABJ), Lagos, Nigeria (LOS), and Luanda, Angola (LAD).
Royal Air Maroc serves Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA), New York John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Washington Dulles (IAD) in the U.S., according to Cirium schedules.
Featured image by Benét J. Wilson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees