One Simple Amenity Every Resort Should Include — But Most Don’t
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When the general manager at the Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay noticed towels and clothing hanging from room balconies, he came up with an easy, inexpensive solution: wooden drying racks on each guest-room balcony.
The racks are designed to fit into the décor, so they aren’t an eyesore, and they provide guests an appropriate place to hang clothing and towels to dry overnight. As we walked around the Marriott Momi Bay, we noticed that more than half of the guests were using their drying racks — seemingly used more frequently than many of the more conventional guest-room amenities.
Many resorts provide a clothesline in the bathroom tub or shower, but this can make your room “feel like Hong Kong,” as the Marriott Momi Bay’s assistant general manager noted at an Elite happy hour when we brought up the drying racks. And if you use a clothesline, you have to move your wet clothing to use the shower or tub. As an added benefit, my room smelled better with wet clothing dried on the balcony instead of in the bathroom.
Based on my discussion with the Marriott Momi Bay’s assistant general manager, it seems it was the individual property — not corporate — that decided to put a drying rack on each balcony.
This solution isn’t novel. Other resorts, including the Intercontinental Fiji, provide racks on their balconies too. It’s an inexpensive, customer-friendly amenity that should be in place at every resort.
The Marriott Fiji Resort Momi Bay is a Marriott Category 5 property. So, you can stay at the property using 35,000 Marriott points per night or the free night certificates (worth up to 35,000 points) that come with some Marriott co-branded credit cards, including the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card and the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card. The property is “wonderfully Fijian” as my husband JT explains in his full review of our stay.
All photos by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees