Can you combine hotel night certificates with your spouse or family?
Reader Questions are answered twice a week by TPG Senior Points & Miles Contributor Ethan Steinberg.
While traveling with a spouse, friend or family member creates its own set of challenges (like needing to find multiple award seats on the same flight), it also has a unique advantage, as it means multiple people can be applying for travel rewards credit cards to earn points toward a free vacation. TPG reader Travis wants to know if he can combine his hotel night certificates with his spouse for an upcoming trip …
I was wondering if it’s possible to stack hotel night certificates by having you and your spouse both hold the same credit card, like the IHG or World of Hyatt credit cardTPG READER TRAVIS
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While Travis asks specifically about the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card and World of Hyatt Credit Card, the answer to this question is the same even if you’re staying at another hotel chain like Marriott or Hilton. The short answer is that none of the major hotel chains let you combine your nights under the same account, but you as an individual are free to stack them for use on back-to-back nights, assuming there’s enough award space.
For many couples and families, this may be good enough to achieve their travel goals, but there are a few important considerations to be aware of. First, if one spouse has a higher level of elite status than the other, those elite benefits won’t transfer over when the other spouse redeems their award certificate. This means you may only get free breakfast and lounge access for one night of your stay, not both.
Depending on the hotel, you may even be asked to move to a different room during your stay. Now this problem is much easier to fix, as (excluding elite upgrades at the time of check-in), two identical award-night certificates should book into the same room type at the hotel. If you’re doing this, you should call the property in advance to explain the situation so they don’t make you move rooms during your stay.
Hotel certificates can represent an incredible value proposition, and I happily pay ~$100 a year in annual fees on three different Marriott Bonvoy credit cards, because I can consistently redeem the up to 35,000-point award-night certificates I receive on them for $250 or more in value. Many credit cards offer redundant perks where it wouldn’t make sense for a family to have more than one, but hotel credit cards that offer free-night certificates are a notable exception.
While there’s no mechanism to directly combine your award certificates with your spouses, you’re free to redeem them on back-to-back nights to effectively combine them into a two-night trip. If you do this, just make sure to reach out to the hotel in advance to let them know so they don’t force you to switch rooms during your stay.
Featured photo by Ethan Steinberg/ he Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees