How to get a $200 discount and 21,000+ bonus points on your next vacation rental
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new Amex Offer and two Marriott promotions can make your next Homes and Villas by Marriott stay less expensive and incredibly rewarding. You can stack these promotions to save $200 and earn 21,000+ bonus Marriott Bonvoy points on your next Homes and Villas stay.
For some background, Homes and Villas is Marriott’s vacation rental program that lets you rent homes and apartments around the world. It’s similar to Airbnb but provides a more curated and hotel-like experience. You can earn and redeem Marriott Bonvoy points for stays at these properties.
Here, we’ll take a look at each of the three promotions and discuss how you can stack them on your next Homes and Villas by Marriott stay.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Maximizing your next Homes and Villas by Marriott stay
As discussed in the intro, you can use three ongoing promotions for your next Homes and Villas by Marriott booking. One is an Amex Offer and two are offered directly from Marriott. You can stack these promotions to save money and earn bonus Marriott Bonvoy points on your next stay. Let’s take a closer look.
Save $200 on a $1,000 Homes and Villas by Marriott booking with this Amex Offer
This week, several TPG staffers were targeted for a Homes and Villas by Marriott Amex Offer. A handful of us received this offer on the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card, while others got it on The Business Platinum Card® from American Express and other Amex cards.
With this Amex Offer, you’ll get $200 back after spending $1,000 or more on a Homes and Villas by Marriott booking. Simply add the offer to your card and charge your Homes and Villas stay to your card by Sept. 24, 2021, to receive the $200 as a statement credit. You’ll get the credit shortly after paying for your stay.
As with all Amex Offers, it’s only valid on purchases made with the published merchant, and other Marriott brands are excluded. The $200 back is earned in addition to other credit card rewards, which leads us to the next promotion.
Earn 10 points per dollar when you pay with your Marriott cobranded credit card
All Homes and Villas by Marriott bookings charged to a Marriott cobranded credit card earn 10 points per dollar spent through Dec. 31, 2021. There is a $7,500 cap on this bonus earning — any charges beyond this will earn at the standard rate for Marriott bookings. You do not need to enroll in this promotion.
This offer applies to all Marriott cobranded cards issued by American Express and Chase. This includes currently available and discontinued Marriott cards, like the .
The information for the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here’s a look at currently available Marriott cobranded credit cards and their welcome offers:
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card: Earn three free night awards after spending $3,000 in the first three months from account opening. Each free night award has a redemption value of up to 50,000 points per night for up to 150,000 points in total value.
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card: Earn 30,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after you spend $1,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card: Earn 75,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants within the first six months of card membership.
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card: Earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on the card in the first three months of card membership.
Get 21,000 bonus points on Homes and Villas by Marriott stays booked by 9/30
Finally, Marriott is running a promotion called 21 in ’21 that gives Marriott Bonvoy members 21,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points on Homes and Villas stays — but there’s a catch.
To be eligible for 21,000 bonus points, you must book a Homes and Villas stay by Sept. 27, 2021, with check-out on or before Sept. 30, 2021. You must stay a minimum of three nights and spend at least $2,100 (including taxes and fees) on your stay. On the bright side, these points are earned in addition to the 5 points per dollar (plus applicable elite status bonuses) Marriott Bonvoy members earn on Homes and Villas bookings. Note that taxes, cleaning fees and other fees are not eligible for points earning.
Interestingly enough, nothing in the terms and conditions states that this is only applicable to your first Homes and Villas booking. You should be able to earn the bonus points on each stay completed before the end of the promotion that meets the spend and night requirement.
This is a huge points bonus. The 21,000 bonus points are worth $168 per TPG’s Marriott Bonvoy points valuation, a solid return on a $2,100 stay. That said, we don’t recommend going out of your way to earn the bonus if you don’t have an immediate need to travel.
Maximizing these promotions on a single Homes and Villas booking
The real value of these promotions comes when you stack them. You can use them in tandem to earn a ton of bonus points and a solid discount on your next Homes and Villas by Marriott booking.
For example, say you book five nights at this Homes and Villas property in North Bay Village, Florida. The stay costs $2,226.09 after taxes and fees, so you’re eligible for the 21,000 bonus points promotion. Further, you charge the stay to your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card with the $200 off $1,000 Amex Offer and have Marriott Gold Elite status included with the card. (enrollment required).
The stay costs $1,820 before taxes and fees, so you’d earn 11,375 Marriott Bonvoy points on the stay. Plus, you’ll earn an additional 22,261 points when you charge the stay to your Amex cobranded credit card. Combined with the 21,000 bonus points, you’ll earn a huge 54,636 Marriott Bonvoy points, equal to $437.08 per TPG’s valuation and $200 in statement credits. This gives you a total of $637.08 in savings and is effectively a 28.6% discount on your stay.
These Homes and Villas by Marriott promotions have the potential to be incredibly valuable. Again, you shouldn’t book an expensive just for the points. But if you’re already planning a vacation, it’s worth checking if a Homes and Villas property makes sense for over a hotel stay.
Feature photo of Lough Cutra Castle courtesy of Marriott
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees