Hong Kong Airport Cancels All Departing Monday Flights Amid Protests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong International Airport has canceled all of its departing flights on Monday amid growing pro-democracy protests in the airport’s main terminal.
As the protests at HKG entered their fourth day, airport officials said that operations had been ‘seriously disrupted.’
The airport posted a notice on its website, reading:
“Airport operations at Hong Kong International Airport have been seriously disrupted, all flights have been cancelled. All passengers are advised to leave the terminal buildings as soon as possible. Affected passengers please contact their respective airlines for flight arrangement.”
The airport is advising members of the public not to travel to the airport. Arrivals already heading to HKG will be permitted to land.
The protests show no sign of slowing down. Hong Kong-based airline Cathay Pacific has warned staff that they could be fired if they ‘support or participate in illegal protests.’ Additionally, Cathay has advised travelers to postpone non-essential travel.
If you have travel to, from or through Hong Kong (HKG) in the coming days, check with your airline to ensure that your flight is still set to operate. As the protests show no sign of slowing down, there’s a chance that the cancellations could extend beyond Monday.
The protests in Hong Kong have been ongoing since June, now focused on Beijing’s central government.
Featured photo by Anthony Kwan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.