Big news for families: Hilton to guarantee adjoining rooms with ‘Confirmed Connecting Rooms’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For several TPG parents, not being able to book a connecting room when traveling with family has been a frustrating part of travel.
They say they’ve spent far more money (or points) booking suites, or hoping for a connected room to be available at check-in, which isn’t guaranteed.
Now, Hilton is the first major hotel chain to not only make it easier to book adjoining, or connecting, rooms but to actually guarantee them. This is huge news.
“Once your family outgrows the confines of a standard hotel room — or when you’re just taking an extended family trip with more family members than usual — it can get tough to book a hotel stay,” said TPG’s director of travel content, Summer Hull, who recently took several extended family trips but couldn’t land a connecting room.
“Connecting rooms are usually the best solution for hotel stays when traveling with a larger crew, but historically, it’s a ‘book and pray’ situation when it comes to actually landing connecting rooms,” Hull, who travels often with her two children, said.
Many travelers don’t enjoy adjoining rooms because it might mean you’re sharing a door with a stranger, and there may be noise issues. However, families, especially those with children, often prefer to book adjoining rooms that share a connecting door while traveling for privacy or peace of mind.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Hilton Honors on June 16 announced that it would give guests the option to book at least two connecting rooms when making a reservation. Dubbed “Confirmed Connecting Rooms by Hilton,” travelers have the opportunity to book a connecting room by logging on to Hilton’s website or by using the Hilton Honors app — and it’s a feature that will be rolled out worldwide.
“Confirmed Connecting Rooms by Hilton presents an innovative solution to a decades-old problem and creates a renewed confidence in the booking experience at a time when a record number of people are travel planning,” the Hilton statement continued.
In its news release announcing the move, Hilton even acknowledges that booking connecting rooms hasn’t always been seamless. Previously, you had to call or otherwise reach out to your hotel ahead of time to request a connecting room. While hotels rarely guarantee it, many typically accommodate the requests if possible — but you wouldn’t find out until arriving at the hotel. Other hotels, such as Marriott and Hyatt offer connected rooms, but they aren’t guaranteed — and can cost you.
According to Hilton, travelers can book their connecting rooms by following three steps:
- Visit Hilton.com/ConnectingRooms
- Select the number of desired rooms, along with the destination and dates, and choose your hotel
- When selecting a room, check the box to indicate you’re interested in connecting rooms
- Select each connecting room at the desired rates
Hilton says travelers can book the stay with “instant confirmation” and that the idea was initially engineered by Motto by Hilton, a micro-hotel brand in the hotel chain’s portfolio. Guests staying at a Motto, a hostel-like hotel, can book up to nine connecting rooms. It appears that Hilton is targeting group travelers here, as guests can configure the rooms with “adaptable furniture,” the hotel said.
Photo by Joe Hendrickson/Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees