Hilton Honors to make lifetime status progress visible in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hotel elite status can make life easy for frequent travelers by offering perks including room upgrades, free breakfast, bonus points and more. Unfortunately status is a very fleeting thing: After a year of aggressive travel trying to qualify for it, the clock resets on Jan. 1 and you have to do it all over again.
This is why most hotel chains offer travelers who’ve been loyal for many years in a row the chance to earn lifetime elite status and never have to worry about requalifying.
Hilton Honors allows members to lock in top-tier Diamond elite status for life by meeting the following requirements:
- Earn Hilton Diamond status for 10 (non-consecutive) years and complete one of the following:
- Complete stays totaling 1,000 paid and reward nights OR
- Earn 2 million base points
The problem is, there’s no way for customers to track their progress towards lifetime status on the Hilton website or app — but that will be changing soon.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As reported by Loyalty Lobby, Hilton Honors plans to allow members to see their progress towards lifetime Diamond status some time in 2020.
Earning lifetime status is a marathon, not a sprint, and allowing customers to see their progress can help keep them engaged and encourage more long term loyalty. Hilton didn’t even make its lifetime status requirements public until 2015, and it has some of the strictest requirements out there. Earning Diamond status for 10 years is relatively easy, as anyone can do that simply by opening up the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card which offers card holders automatic Hilton Diamond status (along with a hefty welcome bonus of 150,000 points after spending $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening and other valuable perks).
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Unfortunately there’s no shortcut for the second set of requirements. 1,000 lifetime nights is much more than Marriott, which only requires 600 lifetime nights (and 10 years of Platinum status) to earn lifetime Marriott Platinum status. Meanwhile, earning 2 million base points would require you to spend $200,000 on eligible room rates and food and beverage charges, which is not an easy feat even for frequent business travelers.
While it’s very easy to earn Hilton elite status by holding the right credit card(s), lifetime status is designed to be elusive and only available to customers who’ve been fiercely loyal for an extended period of time.
Adding a progress tracker will help Hilton’s most loyal customers see where they stand with the chain, and might encourage some of them to make that final push to qualify for lifetime Diamond status.
Featured photo courtesy of the Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, A Waldorf Astoria Resort.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees