New Hertz promo for car rentals starting as low as 600 points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have a car reservation coming soon, here’s some good news. From now until Oct. 25, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards members can redeem fewer points for a free Standard day or AnyDay Reward.
Members can redeem a Standard Rewards for just 600 points per day (normally 750 points), and AnyDay Rewards for 1,200 points per day (normally 1,500 points). Members can reserve a vehicle with their points on Hertz.com for pick up until Jan. 31, 2020. The full award chart can be found here.
If you don’t use Hertz often or you aren’t familiar with its loyalty program, here’s what you need to know.
The program is free to join, and after enrollment, you’ll have entry-level Gold status. You’ll earn 1 point for every dollar you spend on rentals and accessories. Note that that doesn’t include taxes, fees and surcharges. Joining the program also allows you to skip the counter both for picking up your car and dropping off your car. In addition, you’ll gain access to the company’s Ultimate Choice program, available at nearly 60 airports across the U.S. Upon arrival, you simply proceed to the Gold area and select the car you’d like rather than being forced into a preassigned vehicle that doesn’t fit your needs.
The first level of elite status is Five Star, which requires 12 car rentals or spending $2,400 in a calendar year. This tier comes with plenty of perks, a one-car-class upgrade (subject to availability), 1.25 points per dollar spent (a 25% bonus) and no additional driver fees for spouse/domestic partner in the U.S.
Hertz’s top-tier elite status is President’s Circle, which requires 20 car rentals (or spending $4,000 or more) in a calendar year. You’ll get most of the same benefits as Five Star status, but confirmed one-car-class upgrades, 1.5 points per dollar spent (50% bonus) and valet service at participating locations (up to four times per year).
When renting a car from any company, the key to earning the most rewards is choosing the right credit card, such as the following cards that offer bonus points for all car rentals purchased directly with Hertz:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: 3x points on all travel, including car rentals.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: 2x points on all travel, including car rentals.
- Ink Business Preferred Credit Card: 3x points on all travel, including car rentals (on up to $150,000 in purchases combined with shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases with social media sites and search engines, each account anniversary, then 1x).
Of course, you’ll want to select a card that offers solid car rental insurance. The Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred and Ink Business (when renting primarily for business purposes or outside of your country of residence) cards also offer primary car rental coverage, which covers you for damage to your rental due to collision or theft, without needing to file a claim with your personal insurance company.
Featured photo by George Rose/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees