Here’s Why Marriott and SPG Platinums Are Experiencing Ridiculously Long Hold Times
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Waiting on hold for an airline or hotel may be one of travelers’ biggest frustrations. Over the last few days we’ve heard from multiple readers — those who are Marriott and SPG Platinum elites — that they are experiencing ridiculously long wait times to speak to a customer service representative.
TPG reader Boyd, a Marriott Platinum member emailed in telling us how he was on hold for 30 minutes, was then disconnected, called again and never heard from Marriott customer service after multiple direct messages on Twitter. One of the benefits Marriott and SPG Platinums are supposed to receive is a dedicated customer service line.
Although he’s not a Marriott Platinum, TPG Managing Editor Alberto Riva spent 90 minutes waiting for a Marriott customer service agent Thursday night. A Twitter search reveals plenty of Marriott elites complaining about the long wait times:
We reached out to Marriott and a representative investigated the issue, reporting that the increased wait times have to do with the integration of the SPG, Marriott and Ritz Carlton loyalty programs:
“As we prepare to unify our three loyalty programs (Marriott Rewards, The Ritz Carlton Rewards, and Starwood Preferred Guest) in August, we are transforming the way associates in our Customer Engagement Centers serve our members and are training them on new technology and processes. During this period, we are experiencing increased wait times for phone calls in many cases. We are sorry for the inconvenience and are currently adding staff to reduce the wait times during this transition.
Additionally, we recently extended our exclusive Platinum Elite member phone number to 24/7 operations. When these technology systems are fully deployed, associates will have much more information at their fingertips, to both answer a broader array of questions and solve more issues more quickly, reducing the time members spend on the phone.”
As the representative said, the issue will hopefully be resolved by August. Still, it’s unfortunate that this is happening during the peak summer travel period and during the unveiling of the new award chart.
If you’re experiencing long hold times, you can try calling foreign customer service lines (although your elite status may not be recognized), calling the hotel directly (if appropriate) or reaching out to the Marriott over social media.
Featured image by Danny Lawson/PA Images via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees