Heathrow warns travelers to brace for up to 6-hour queues
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
People considering a holiday abroad once the U.K. reopens for travel should prepare themselves for what awaits them upon their arrival — massive hours-long backups at Heathrow Airport.
Travelers are already stuck in queues for COVID-19 testing that are several hours long at the moment, and airport officials describe the situation as “untenable.” According to The Times, wait times are “well in excess of two hours and up to six,” and are expected to get worse.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
There are some 800 workers at Heathrow checking passengers arriving into the U.K., but the required checklist put in place for the pandemic is time-consuming. Keep in mind, this is while the ban on non-essential travel in the U.K. remains in place.
Even though travel remains at a fraction of levels seen before the pandemic — so bad that Heathrow recently reported a nearly $3 billion loss due to reduced travel — airport officials fear the bottlenecks will become much worse if non-essential travel is allowed to resume on May 17, as is currently the plan.
The Chief Solutions Officer for Heathrow Chris Garton appeared before the Commons Transport Select Committee to explain how the long delays are putting customers on edge.
“We’re starting to see disruption in some of the arriving passengers,” he said. “If you’re made to queue for two or three hours, it’s not something you want to do.”
Part of the problem is that too many passengers are showing up at the airport without proper documentation. If your travel plans will have you landing at Heathrow in the next few months, here’s what you can do to avoid unnecessary delays.
First, have all of your documentation ready and keep it in the same place. Second, make sure you have the following paperwork in order: Your COVID-19 test results, passenger locator form, proof of travel test package for COVID-19 tests on days two and eight of quarantine and hotel booking confirmation (if you’re staying in hotel quarantine).
Featured photo by Xinhua News Agency / Contributor/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees