This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers flying through London’s Heathrow airport (LHR) at the end of May might want to pack a few snacks for their next flight should a planned strike by the Unite union move forward.
Drivers for Alpha LSG, an airport catering company, are set to go on strike at midnight on May 22 through May 26, which is a busy holiday travel weekend in the UK. The strike would “disrupt the supply of food, drink and duty free products for 29 international airlines,” including Qatar Airways, Qantas, American Airlines, Etihad and Singapore Airlines, according to the Independent.
Drivers are set to protest new schedule changes that the union claims is having a negative impact on the workers and their home lives. “The new rosters are taking a heavy toll on the workers’ well-being. The company are treating workers with contempt by trying to force them to work an extra 12 weekends a year,” according to union regional leader Jayesh Mistry.
A spokesperson for Heathrow said the airport is putting contingency plans in place to lessen the impact of any strike. In the meantime, check out the TPG staff picks for our favorite snacks to bring onboard a flight.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by BrasilNut1 / Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards