A Planned Catering Strike Could Leave Passengers Flying Through Heathrow with an Empty Stomach
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers flying through London’s Heathrow airport (LHR) at the end of May might want to pack a few snacks for their next flight should a planned strike by the Unite union move forward.
Drivers for Alpha LSG, an airport catering company, are set to go on strike at midnight on May 22 through May 26, which is a busy holiday travel weekend in the UK. The strike would “disrupt the supply of food, drink and duty free products for 29 international airlines,” including Qatar Airways, Qantas, American Airlines, Etihad and Singapore Airlines, according to the Independent.
Drivers are set to protest new schedule changes that the union claims is having a negative impact on the workers and their home lives. “The new rosters are taking a heavy toll on the workers’ well-being. The company are treating workers with contempt by trying to force them to work an extra 12 weekends a year,” according to union regional leader Jayesh Mistry.
A spokesperson for Heathrow said the airport is putting contingency plans in place to lessen the impact of any strike. In the meantime, check out the TPG staff picks for our favorite snacks to bring onboard a flight.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by BrasilNut1 / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees