Hawaiian Airlines becomes the latest US carrier to say ‘aloha’ to change fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Oh, do I miss Hawaii. The 50th state’s namesake airline just detailed plans to join its mainland counterparts, Alaska Airlines, American, Delta, United — and of course, Southwest — in permanently retiring change fees.
Unlike some policies, Hawaiian’s extends to all of the carrier’s destinations, including those overseas. Previously, for all voluntary changes, the carrier applied a $30 fee for interisland flights, $200 for mainland flights and up to $300 for international flights, in addition to a difference in fare.
As of today, customers will still be responsible for paying a fare difference for voluntary changes, but the change fee itself will no longer apply. Note that with this change, customers moving to a less expensive flight will not receive a refund or credit for the residual amount.
Change fees are waived for all award tickets as well, though a redeposit fee of $30 for interisland and $150 for all other travel will apply for all canceled awards.
Note that Main Cabin Basic — Hawaiian’s version of basic economy — will still have the same restrictions as before. Basic tickets purchased in 2020 are covered under the airline’s COVID-19 waivers, with date changes permitted for any flights booked this year.
After the current waiver expires, Main Cabin Basic tickets cannot be changed or refunded, unless canceled within 24 hours of booking and at least seven days before travel.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees