Hawaiian Airlines becomes the latest US carrier to say ‘aloha’ to change fees
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Oh, do I miss Hawaii. The 50th state’s namesake airline just detailed plans to join its mainland counterparts, Alaska Airlines, American, Delta, United — and of course, Southwest — in permanently retiring change fees.
Unlike some policies, Hawaiian’s extends to all of the carrier’s destinations, including those overseas. Previously, for all voluntary changes, the carrier applied a $30 fee for interisland flights, $200 for mainland flights and up to $300 for international flights, in addition to a difference in fare.
As of today, customers will still be responsible for paying a fare difference for voluntary changes, but the change fee itself will no longer apply. Note that with this change, customers moving to a less expensive flight will not receive a refund or credit for the residual amount.
Change fees are waived for all award tickets as well, though a redeposit fee of $30 for interisland and $150 for all other travel will apply for all canceled awards.
Note that Main Cabin Basic — Hawaiian’s version of basic economy — will still have the same restrictions as before. Basic tickets purchased in 2020 are covered under the airline’s COVID-19 waivers, with date changes permitted for any flights booked this year.
After the current waiver expires, Main Cabin Basic tickets cannot be changed or refunded, unless canceled within 24 hours of booking and at least seven days before travel.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.