Hawaiian Airlines Introduces Hawaiian Language on Some Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaiian Airlines launched the first mainland-bound flight featuring Hawaiian language spoken in cabin announcements and crew instructions on Friday.
Flight HA18 to Las Vegas (LAS) was staffed with a flight crew of fluent olelo Hawaii speakers, who spoke to passengers in both English and Hawaiian. The idea was tested on four inter-island flights to Hilo (ITO) earlier in April and received positive feedback. Both the in-flight announcements and announcements at the gate were made in olelo Hawaii.
“Flight attendants onboard HA18 to Las Vegas will transform the journey into a one-of-a-kind cultural experience by engaging with guests in both ‘olelo Hawai’i and English,” the airline told Hawaii News Now. “The initiative is an extension of the airline’s commitment to honor and share our Islands’ unique culture with guests visiting Hawai’i.”
There has been a recent push to preserve and more widely use the Hawaiian language.
Olelo Hawaii is one of the state’s official languages, and Hawaiian Airlines plans to expand its immersion program for the language over the next several months.
Featured image by Karen Bleier / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.