This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaiian Airlines launched the first mainland-bound flight featuring Hawaiian language spoken in cabin announcements and crew instructions on Friday.
Flight HA18 to Las Vegas (LAS) was staffed with a flight crew of fluent olelo Hawaii speakers, who spoke to passengers in both English and Hawaiian. The idea was tested on four inter-island flights to Hilo (ITO) earlier in April and received positive feedback. Both the in-flight announcements and announcements at the gate were made in olelo Hawaii.
“Flight attendants onboard HA18 to Las Vegas will transform the journey into a one-of-a-kind cultural experience by engaging with guests in both ‘olelo Hawai’i and English,” the airline told Hawaii News Now. “The initiative is an extension of the airline’s commitment to honor and share our Islands’ unique culture with guests visiting Hawai’i.”
There has been a recent push to preserve and more widely use the Hawaiian language.
Olelo Hawaii is one of the state’s official languages, and Hawaiian Airlines plans to expand its immersion program for the language over the next several months.
Featured image by Karen Bleier / Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees