A ‘Haunted’ Hotel in Colorado Is Reopening With an Even Creepier Vibe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Somebody call paranormal investigator Zak Bagans — or, on second thought, maybe don’t — because a famous haunted hotel in Colorado just reopened to the public after extensive renovations on May 1.
The Black Monarch originally debuted during the Gold Rush era as a triple-threat casino, saloon and brothel. It’s now a newly-renovated boutique hotel (and listed on Colorado’s National Register of Historic Places) less than 50 miles southwest of Colorado Springs in the tiny mountain town of Victor.
And according to some firsthand reports from past guests, it’s a bit of a hotspot for paranormal sightings.
According to Travel + Leisure, people have experienced “unexplained” phenomena while in the building — such as the sounds of women laughing and men shouting when there was no one to be found.
The property is thought to be haunted by the spirit of a barkeep who allegedly died in a gunfight — and a devastating fire that leveled the building in 1899 is thought to contribute to the downright ghostly vibes. There are also some unconfirmed ties to inventor Nikola Tesla as well (he reportedly wired the hotel’s electricity). Either way, there’s now an entire room named after him.
Doubling down on the hotel’s haunted reputation, new owner Adam Zimmerli and staff decided to add rooms inspired by Elizabeth Bathory and H.H. Holmes — two of the most notorious serial killers in the history books. They’ve also packed the Black Monarch with “curiosities” such as taxidermy and other creepy trinkets.
Hotel guests are encouraged to explore the historic mountain town and also to embrace the hotel’s “dark” aesthetic. After all, Zimmerli hopes to one day host live burlesque and circus performances.
Feeling brave? You can book your stay at The Black Monarch Hotel through Airbnb.
Featured image courtesy of The Black Monarch Hotel via Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees