Harrah’s becomes first casino to require vaccines; Could Vegas be next?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Harrah’s New Orleans Hotel & Casino has become the first casino in the United States to require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test to enter.
The news was first reported by CDC Gaming Reports.The casino is owned and operated by Caesars Entertainment.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
It comes as New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell announced a new vaccine requirement for many indoor activities starting Aug. 16 that includes indoor dining and bars and other indoor entertainment. You will need to provide proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test if you are 12 or older for any activities the city deems as having a “high transmission risk.”
The mandate also covers racetracks and other venues with slot machines.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal has reported some casinos in Nevada are also considering vaccine mandates and that the MGM is already requiring workers who refuse to get vaccinated to pay for their own COVID-19 testing.
Already some events in Vegas require vaccination or proof of negative test results for COVID-19. Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak said this week he didn’t want to have to impose more mandates, but left the door open if vaccination rates don’t improve and the delta variant continues to spread.
Featured image of Las Vegas by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees