Half of Lufthansa’s Tuesday Flights Canceled Due to Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than 800 Lufthansa flights scheduled for Tuesday have already been canceled, as a public sector union strike escalated to airports in Germany on Monday.
Verdi, a trade union that represents workers in several industries, said Monday that a strike over pay increases would be extended to airport workers in Munich (MUC), Frankfurt (FRA), Cologne (CGN) and Bremen (BRE). The workers include the airports’ security and ground staff and some fire staffers, too.
Lufthansa is Germany’s largest airline, and it has hubs in both Frankfurt and Munich. The carrier also operates regional flights out of Cologne. Most of the canceled flights are short-hauls, Lufthansa told Reuters, but 58 long-haul flights have also been canceled. Lufthansa warned about delays at security checkpoints and is also offering to rebook passengers free of charge.
The cancellations total about half of the carrier’s scheduled flights. Verdi’s demands for the strike include a 6% pay increase for its 2.3 million employees in public sector jobs throughout Germany.
Featured image by Lufthansa AG/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.