This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than 800 Lufthansa flights scheduled for Tuesday have already been canceled, as a public sector union strike escalated to airports in Germany on Monday.
Verdi, a trade union that represents workers in several industries, said Monday that a strike over pay increases would be extended to airport workers in Munich (MUC), Frankfurt (FRA), Cologne (CGN) and Bremen (BRE). The workers include the airports’ security and ground staff and some fire staffers, too.
Lufthansa is Germany’s largest airline, and it has hubs in both Frankfurt and Munich. The carrier also operates regional flights out of Cologne. Most of the canceled flights are short-hauls, Lufthansa told Reuters, but 58 long-haul flights have also been canceled. Lufthansa warned about delays at security checkpoints and is also offering to rebook passengers free of charge.
The cancellations total about half of the carrier’s scheduled flights. Verdi’s demands for the strike include a 6% pay increase for its 2.3 million employees in public sector jobs throughout Germany.
Featured image by Lufthansa AG/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees