This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than 800 Lufthansa flights scheduled for Tuesday have already been canceled, as a public sector union strike escalated to airports in Germany on Monday.
Verdi, a trade union that represents workers in several industries, said Monday that a strike over pay increases would be extended to airport workers in Munich (MUC), Frankfurt (FRA), Cologne (CGN) and Bremen (BRE). The workers include the airports’ security and ground staff and some fire staffers, too.
Lufthansa is Germany’s largest airline, and it has hubs in both Frankfurt and Munich. The carrier also operates regional flights out of Cologne. Most of the canceled flights are short-hauls, Lufthansa told Reuters, but 58 long-haul flights have also been canceled. Lufthansa warned about delays at security checkpoints and is also offering to rebook passengers free of charge.
The cancellations total about half of the carrier’s scheduled flights. Verdi’s demands for the strike include a 6% pay increase for its 2.3 million employees in public sector jobs throughout Germany.
Featured image by Lufthansa AG/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards