Half of Lufthansa’s Tuesday Flights Canceled Due to Strike
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
More than 800 Lufthansa flights scheduled for Tuesday have already been canceled, as a public sector union strike escalated to airports in Germany on Monday.
Verdi, a trade union that represents workers in several industries, said Monday that a strike over pay increases would be extended to airport workers in Munich (MUC), Frankfurt (FRA), Cologne (CGN) and Bremen (BRE). The workers include the airports’ security and ground staff and some fire staffers, too.
Lufthansa is Germany’s largest airline, and it has hubs in both Frankfurt and Munich. The carrier also operates regional flights out of Cologne. Most of the canceled flights are short-hauls, Lufthansa told Reuters, but 58 long-haul flights have also been canceled. Lufthansa warned about delays at security checkpoints and is also offering to rebook passengers free of charge.
The cancellations total about half of the carrier’s scheduled flights. Verdi’s demands for the strike include a 6% pay increase for its 2.3 million employees in public sector jobs throughout Germany.
Featured image by Lufthansa AG/ullstein bild via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees