Haiti president assassinated; Airport shut, border with Dominican Republic closed
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Port-au-Prince-Toussaint Louverture International Airport in Haiti is reportedly closed this morning, after Haitian president Jovenel Moise was assassinated in his home around 1 a.m. local time this morning, July 7. As of Wednesday evening, all incoming and outgoing flights at the airport remained canceled or delayed until further notice, per Sunrise Airways. American Airlines, Spirit Airlines and JetBlue were all offering fee waivers for people to use towards fare differences in travel in Haiti disputed by the situation this week, CNBC reported on Thursday.
“A group of unidentified individuals, some of whom spoke in Spanish, attacked the private residence of the President of the Republic and thus mortally wounded the Head of State,” Haitian interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph said in a statement, who condemned what he called an “odious, inhuman and barbaric act.” Joseph also noted that First Lady Martine Moise remains hospitalized.
Although the international airport in Port-au-Prince is allegedly closed, the airport’s website has yet to update its schedule and still has both departing and arrival flights scheduled as such. As of 9:10 a.m. ET on Wednesday, flight-tracking site FlightAware showed 58 percent of outgoing flights and 38 percent of arriving flights to PAP as canceled.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Additionally, Dominican Republican President Luis Abinader, has reportedly closed the border with Haiti in response to ongoing events, per Reuters.
Joseph, the interim prime minister, noted that the “security situation in the country is under the control of the Haitian National Police and the Haitian Armed Forces” and that “all measures are taken to guarantee the continuity of the State and protect the Nation.”
Featured image showing members of the Haitian police and forensics patrol the area as they look for evidence outside of the presidential residence on July 7, 2021 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Photo by VALERIE BAERISWYL/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees