Gusty Winds Cause Flight Delays and Cancellations Throughout Northeast
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Gusts of wind up to 62 mph have been causing flight delays at airports throughout the mid-Atlantic and New England regions.
The Federal Aviation Administration issued a statement Monday morning, Feb. 25, that winds from the mid-Atlantic to New England may lead to air traffic delays in Boston (BOS), the New York area (EWR/JFK/LGA), Philadelphia (PHL) and the Washington, DC, area (BWI/DCA/IAD). Clouds could also slow incoming and departing flights to and from San Francisco (SFO).
At the time of publication, no major US airlines have issued change fee waivers for Northeast airports due to the heavy winds. United Airlines, however, has issued a travel waiver for San Francisco’s weather, valid for flights on Monday.
At LaGuardia Airport, so far 89 flights have been delayed with nearly 70 flights canceled completely. The winds also caused officials at Newark to replace the AirTrain operations with buses for the day. They’ve also been urging travelers to allow for extra travel time as a cautionary measure.
Boston (BOS) has also been experiencing wind-related delays, with departures out of BOS into Newark currently delayed more than three and a half hours, and flights into LaGuardia were delayed at BOS for an average of nearly three hours.
The mid-Atlantic and New England aren’t the only airports that have been seeing the effects of the gusty winds. On Sunday, more than 300 flights out of Chicago’s O’Hare (ORD) and Midway (MDW) airports were delayed or canceled. O’Hare even reported 260 cancellations with an average delay of 20 minutes at 5:30pm, Sunday night. Midway reported 128 cancellations.
A high wind warning in New York and surrounding areas will be in effect until 6pm, Monday.
For more information on what flights are being delayed or cancelled, visit the FAA website and search your departing airport. For flight-specific information, the FAA also always recommends travelers check with their air carrier.
Featured image by PHOTOGRAPHY BY BERT.DESIGN via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees