Ground Stop Ordered at Newark Airport Due to Nearby Drone Activity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials have ordered a ground stop at New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) after two drones were seen in the area Tuesday night.
According to a senior aviation source, ABC News reports two drones were spotted 3,500 feet above smaller nearby Teterboro Airport (TEB), located in Bergen County, New Jersey, just 19 miles from EWR.
Some flights were reportedly being held at departing airports to slow the amount of planes coming into Newark for the time being. Planes inbound for EWR were held in the air, The New York Times reports, but were allowed to start landing by 5:45pm. But planes departing from other cities were still barred from takeoff.
TPG reached out to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airport, as well as the Federal Aviation Administration but did not receive an immediate response.
The drone activity in New Jersey comes about a month after drone sightings shutdown London Gatwick Airport (LGW) for 36 hours over the peak holiday travel window, causing about 1,000 flights to be grounded and affecting about 140,000 passengers.
This is a breaking news story. We will update this post as more information becomes available.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.