2 popular European destinations drop testing requirement for vaccinated travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two more popular tourist destinations have made it easier for vaccinated travelers this week, including Greece, which announced Friday that fully vaccinated visitors with an EU Digital COVID Certificate no longer need to present a negative COVID-19 test to enter the country starting next week.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Since December, the Greek Health Ministry has required all travelers over the age of 5 to present results of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours, or a rapid antigen test taken within 24 hours, of arrival in Greece. As of Monday, Feb. 7, “entry into the country for those who have an active European certificate will be done without a mandatory test,” Greek Health Minister Thanos Plevris said in a statement.
Although we are waiting on additional guidance to be released by Greek authorities, the updated rules should also apply to travelers vaccinated in the U.S. holding a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-issued vaccination card, based on previous assurance from the Greek Tourism Ministry that the CDC card is accepted for entry into businesses restricted to those who are fully vaccinated or have recently recovered from COVID-19.
Note that all travelers regardless of vaccination status may be subject to random COVID-19 testing upon arrival, per the Greek Tourism Ministry, which also notes that travelers must complete an online passenger locator form before entering the country.
Your vaccination status remains valid for entry to Greece as long as your final dose was administered within the previous 270 days or nine months.
Also this week, Portugal said it will scrap arrival testing requirements for air passengers with a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate, although further details have not yet been released regarding the implementation.
Featured photo of Santorini, Greece, by Matteo Colombo/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.