New Google Travel Features Could Make Trip Planning Easier Than Ever
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Google has been steadily trying to improve the trip planning process, and it’s about to roll out some major updates.
Earlier this year, the search engine released new flight and hotel search features and added vacation rentals to its hotel search function. Now, Google Trips will organize your searches and reservations at Google.com/Travel and make it easier to find information relevant to your trip at Google Search and Google Maps, regardless of whether you’re searching on desktop or mobile.
Say you’re planning a trip to Puglia, the heel of Italy’s boot (which I currently am). When you book your flight and hotel, it’ll be automatically added to your trip timeline and your Google calendar. If you go to the “My Trips” page, Google will show links to relevant articles about the area, listings for sights to visit, day plans, events happening on your travel dates, popular restaurants and even the weather forecast.
Make a restaurant reservation through OpenTable or Resy and, as long as it’s linked to your Gmail, it’ll automatically be added to your trip timeline. You can now make edits to your trip timeline and — in just a few weeks — you’ll also be able to manually add new reservations, which will come in handy if you’re traveling to a place where you still need to book a table the old fashioned way, by calling.
Planning ahead? You can get a jump start on researching a trip that’s weeks or months away and Google will save your searches so you can return to them later. All of your trip planning info will be private to you, but you can easily share it with family and friends by email. Of course, you can also opt out if you don’t want to see private search results.
Google is also trying to make it easier to find things to do on-the-go, after you arrive in a destination. Since last year, Google Maps has been showing you things to see and do in the area. Now, it will also point out popular neighborhoods and what they’re known for, helping you get the lay of the land in a new city. In a few months, your reservations for hotels and restaurants will be accessible in Google Maps, too.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees