For the first time in 17 months, a cruise ship will sail from California this weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Carnival Panorama will be the first vessel to depart from California in nearly 17 months when it sets sail from Long Beach on Saturday.
The 4,008-passenger ship will embark on a weeklong Mexican Riviera itinerary, calling on Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
Like most places, the Golden State has been devoid of cruises since the onset of the pandemic. In recent years, even before COVID-19, California saw a decline in the number of cruise ships based there — particularly newer ones, such as Carnival Panorama, which debuted in 2019.
Among its amenities, the ship features a Sky Zone trampoline park; SkyRide, an aerial bike ride attraction; WaterWorks aqua park; and the Carnival Kitchen experience, where one of the onboard chefs teaches cooking classes for passengers.
Carnival’s ships are currently sailing at about 75% capacity. Following a recent uptick in COVID-19 cases on some ships, the line instituted mandatory mask-wearing and pre-cruise testing for all passengers.
Featured photo courtesy of Carnival Cruise Line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees