Finland Wants to Pay You to Watch the Northern Lights and Lead A Dog Sled
If you’re ok with making the move to Finland, there are a bunch of jobs looking to outfit you with what would certainly fall into the “Dream Job” category. According to Forbes, there are companies looking to hire people to play with sled dogs, hunt down the Northern Lights, and cook delicious outdoor meals for travelers.
Forbes pulled together five of their favorite Finnish dream jobs (which you can see in full here), but the one that really stood out to us was the Photography Guide position with tour company Beyond Arctic.
Capturing the Northern Lights on a camera is not an easy task, but all it takes is experience shooting photos and a strong knowledge of the camera settings that highlight the aurora best. As a photography guide, you will lead travelers out into Lapland on the hunt for the Northern Lights. The job posting does require a B-driving license, as well as photography skills and the ability to speak fluent English (first aid skills, knowledge of other languages, and a hygiene certificate are plusses).
Another thing to note: You not only have to be ok with cold temperatures, you have to thrive in freezing temperatures. As someone who has gone on a Northern Lights hunt in northern Finland, it’s the kind of cold that will leave you breathless and kick your brain cells straight to the curb. A personal suggestion: Have a handful of jokes in your pocket and a killer hot chocolate recipe on hand to help distract cold tour-goers.
Beyond Arctic is looking for photography guides to cover winter 2018 and 2019, so act quick. If you’re one of the lucky chosen, you’ll start work in November 2018. But before you start planning your cross-ocean move, send your resume with the subject line of Photography Guide to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is another gig mentioned in the Forbes list that would be a disservice not to mention: Husky Guide. Personnel agency Lapland Staff is looking for some special dog fans to work as safari guides across Finland. These jobs not only require you to learn how to lead a dog sled and care for the dogs, but you will also be driving snowmobiles, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and ice fishing.
This is the perfect job for someone who loves dogs and also enjoys a good winter spot or five. For more information on becoming a husky guide, check out the job posting.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.