This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re ok with making the move to Finland, there are a bunch of jobs looking to outfit you with what would certainly fall into the “Dream Job” category. According to Forbes, there are companies looking to hire people to play with sled dogs, hunt down the Northern Lights, and cook delicious outdoor meals for travelers.
Forbes pulled together five of their favorite Finnish dream jobs (which you can see in full here), but the one that really stood out to us was the Photography Guide position with tour company Beyond Arctic.
Capturing the Northern Lights on a camera is not an easy task, but all it takes is experience shooting photos and a strong knowledge of the camera settings that highlight the aurora best. As a photography guide, you will lead travelers out into Lapland on the hunt for the Northern Lights. The job posting does require a B-driving license, as well as photography skills and the ability to speak fluent English (first aid skills, knowledge of other languages, and a hygiene certificate are plusses).
Another thing to note: You not only have to be ok with cold temperatures, you have to thrive in freezing temperatures. As someone who has gone on a Northern Lights hunt in northern Finland, it’s the kind of cold that will leave you breathless and kick your brain cells straight to the curb. A personal suggestion: Have a handful of jokes in your pocket and a killer hot chocolate recipe on hand to help distract cold tour-goers.
Beyond Arctic is looking for photography guides to cover winter 2018 and 2019, so act quick. If you’re one of the lucky chosen, you’ll start work in November 2018. But before you start planning your cross-ocean move, send your resume with the subject line of Photography Guide to email@example.com.
There is another gig mentioned in the Forbes list that would be a disservice not to mention: Husky Guide. Personnel agency Lapland Staff is looking for some special dog fans to work as safari guides across Finland. These jobs not only require you to learn how to lead a dog sled and care for the dogs, but you will also be driving snowmobiles, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and ice fishing.
This is the perfect job for someone who loves dogs and also enjoys a good winter spot or five. For more information on becoming a husky guide, check out the job posting.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees