This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re ok with making the move to Finland, there are a bunch of jobs looking to outfit you with what would certainly fall into the “Dream Job” category. According to Forbes, there are companies looking to hire people to play with sled dogs, hunt down the Northern Lights, and cook delicious outdoor meals for travelers.
Forbes pulled together five of their favorite Finnish dream jobs (which you can see in full here), but the one that really stood out to us was the Photography Guide position with tour company Beyond Arctic.
Capturing the Northern Lights on a camera is not an easy task, but all it takes is experience shooting photos and a strong knowledge of the camera settings that highlight the aurora best. As a photography guide, you will lead travelers out into Lapland on the hunt for the Northern Lights. The job posting does require a B-driving license, as well as photography skills and the ability to speak fluent English (first aid skills, knowledge of other languages, and a hygiene certificate are plusses).
Another thing to note: You not only have to be ok with cold temperatures, you have to thrive in freezing temperatures. As someone who has gone on a Northern Lights hunt in northern Finland, it’s the kind of cold that will leave you breathless and kick your brain cells straight to the curb. A personal suggestion: Have a handful of jokes in your pocket and a killer hot chocolate recipe on hand to help distract cold tour-goers.
Beyond Arctic is looking for photography guides to cover winter 2018 and 2019, so act quick. If you’re one of the lucky chosen, you’ll start work in November 2018. But before you start planning your cross-ocean move, send your resume with the subject line of Photography Guide to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is another gig mentioned in the Forbes list that would be a disservice not to mention: Husky Guide. Personnel agency Lapland Staff is looking for some special dog fans to work as safari guides across Finland. These jobs not only require you to learn how to lead a dog sled and care for the dogs, but you will also be driving snowmobiles, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and ice fishing.
This is the perfect job for someone who loves dogs and also enjoys a good winter spot or five. For more information on becoming a husky guide, check out the job posting.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards