Fifth-Graders’ Flight is Canceled, So Delta Sent An Empty Jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Teacher Shantell Barbour feared her fifth-graders’ carefully planned class trip to nation’s capital was about to unravel.
The American Airlines flight that was supposed get Barbour’s 41 students started on their June 2 trip from Oklahoma City to Richmond, Virginia, was canceled because of weather. But the trip to see Virginia and Washington, DC, was saved after the class received celebrity treatment from Delta, who flew the group on to the East Coast on a private flight from Oklahoma City.
In an interview with ABC’s Oklahoma City channel, Barbour said American offered the class refunds for their tickets, but this wouldn’t do.
“These fifth graders need to get to Washington, DC. We’ve been planning this for over a year,” Barbour said.
FOX reports that two Delta gate agents noticed the class while they waited for an update from American and called headquarters, who decided to fly in a spare aircraft to operate a special flight for the fifth graders; “essentially a private flight,” in the words of ABC World News Tonight. After more than six hours at the gate, Delta’s plane arrived and the class was brought to Richmond to begin their trip.
Delta responded to Barbour’s a thankful tweet, saying that operating the flight was “an absolute pleasure” for the airline.
Although most stranded travelers aren’t treated to private planes, Barbour and her class were able to enjoy their field trip to Virginia and Washington, which may not have been possible had Delta not stepped in.
Featured image by Patrick T. Fallon, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.