Fifth-Graders’ Flight is Canceled, So Delta Sent An Empty Jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Teacher Shantell Barbour feared her fifth-graders’ carefully planned class trip to nation’s capital was about to unravel.
The American Airlines flight that was supposed get Barbour’s 41 students started on their June 2 trip from Oklahoma City to Richmond, Virginia, was canceled because of weather. But the trip to see Virginia and Washington, DC, was saved after the class received celebrity treatment from Delta, who flew the group on to the East Coast on a private flight from Oklahoma City.
In an interview with ABC’s Oklahoma City channel, Barbour said American offered the class refunds for their tickets, but this wouldn’t do.
“These fifth graders need to get to Washington, DC. We’ve been planning this for over a year,” Barbour said.
FOX reports that two Delta gate agents noticed the class while they waited for an update from American and called headquarters, who decided to fly in a spare aircraft to operate a special flight for the fifth graders; “essentially a private flight,” in the words of ABC World News Tonight. After more than six hours at the gate, Delta’s plane arrived and the class was brought to Richmond to begin their trip.
Delta responded to Barbour’s a thankful tweet, saying that operating the flight was “an absolute pleasure” for the airline.
Although most stranded travelers aren’t treated to private planes, Barbour and her class were able to enjoy their field trip to Virginia and Washington, which may not have been possible had Delta not stepped in.
Featured image by Patrick T. Fallon, TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees