Farm to Flight: Korean Air Grows Its Cabin Food From Its Own Jedong Ranch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sure, Singapore Airlines will allow you to Book The Cook, but Korean Air is stocking its premium cabins with food from its own ranch. South Korea’s resort island of Jeju – which, along with Seoul, holds the crown for the route carrying the most passengers per year – is also home to Jedong Ranch. The 3,700-acre facility has been operational since 1972, but today serves as the source for meals served to first– and business-class passengers onboard Korean Air flights.
More than 2,000 grass-fed Korean native cattle (known as Hanwoo) roam the ranch. “The organic, antibiotic-free meat from these animals, and from the farm’s flock of approximately 6,000 free-range chickens, is sent to Korean Air’s flight-catering kitchens in Seoul,” USA Today reports. For AvGeeks nearby, there’s word that some of the meat and eggs are made available for purchase locally – at a premium, of course.
Fruits, vegetables and even bottled water is sourced from the ranch. Specifically, “three high-tech, hydroponic greenhouses produce more than 210 tons of red peppers and cherry tomatoes and about a ton of blueberries” each year. As for future delicacies? Per Jedong Ranch Managing Director Jongdo Lim, passion fruit and olives.
Officials have stated that the farm to flight method enables Korean Air to “set and meet high quality-control standards that go along with being a premium luxury carrier.” It’s worth noting that JetBlue, Japan Air Lines and Emirates all either source, or plan to source, some of the sustenance served up to passengers from owned facilities, though Korean Air’s extensive use of its own ranch is certainly impressive.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees