Farm to Flight: Korean Air Grows Its Cabin Food From Its Own Jedong Ranch
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sure, Singapore Airlines will allow you to Book The Cook, but Korean Air is stocking its premium cabins with food from its own ranch. South Korea’s resort island of Jeju – which, along with Seoul, holds the crown for the route carrying the most passengers per year – is also home to Jedong Ranch. The 3,700-acre facility has been operational since 1972, but today serves as the source for meals served to first– and business-class passengers onboard Korean Air flights.
More than 2,000 grass-fed Korean native cattle (known as Hanwoo) roam the ranch. “The organic, antibiotic-free meat from these animals, and from the farm’s flock of approximately 6,000 free-range chickens, is sent to Korean Air’s flight-catering kitchens in Seoul,” USA Today reports. For AvGeeks nearby, there’s word that some of the meat and eggs are made available for purchase locally – at a premium, of course.
Fruits, vegetables and even bottled water is sourced from the ranch. Specifically, “three high-tech, hydroponic greenhouses produce more than 210 tons of red peppers and cherry tomatoes and about a ton of blueberries” each year. As for future delicacies? Per Jedong Ranch Managing Director Jongdo Lim, passion fruit and olives.
Officials have stated that the farm to flight method enables Korean Air to “set and meet high quality-control standards that go along with being a premium luxury carrier.” It’s worth noting that JetBlue, Japan Air Lines and Emirates all either source, or plan to source, some of the sustenance served up to passengers from owned facilities, though Korean Air’s extensive use of its own ranch is certainly impressive.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.