This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In February, TPG and I flew Singapore’s brand-new A380 from Sydney (SYD) to Changi Airport (SIN). Since we were both on the same flight, we took the opportunity to review different cabins — TPG took one for the team and put that fancy new first-class Suite through the ringer, while I drew the (only slightly) shorter straw and landed a seat in business class.
We both used the carrier’s Book the Cook pre-order option for our main courses, selecting the Thermidor options available for our respective cabins.
For Suites, that meant the traditional lobster Thermidor. It was well-cooked and plated quite nicely, with tender bits of lobster that were flavorful, but not drenched in sauce.
Lobster wasn’t available in biz, but I was similarly impressed with the seafood Thermidor I received. In fact, since there was a variety of seafood on offer, including some lighter white fish and scallops, I actually preferred my dish to the lobster, although I could have done with a bit less sauce.
Both had identical accompaniments — buttered asparagus, roasted tomato and saffron rice.
I only managed a few bites of TPG’s lobster, but I was perfectly happy with the lower-cost “seafood” variety. While lobster is certainly a nice treat, I feel like you can’t go wrong with either dish here. Just don’t forget to order ahead by pulling up your reservation on Singapore’s site and picking your entree up to 24 hours before departure.
For more on in-flight dining, see Michael Park’s feature, The Science of Airplane Food: How Chefs Trick Passenger Palates.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees