Singapore Showdown: Lobster Thermidor (First Class) vs. Seafood Thermidor (Biz)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In February, TPG and I flew Singapore’s brand-new A380 from Sydney (SYD) to Changi Airport (SIN). Since we were both on the same flight, we took the opportunity to review different cabins — TPG took one for the team and put that fancy new first-class Suite through the ringer, while I drew the (only slightly) shorter straw and landed a seat in business class.
We both used the carrier’s Book the Cook pre-order option for our main courses, selecting the Thermidor options available for our respective cabins.
For Suites, that meant the traditional lobster Thermidor. It was well-cooked and plated quite nicely, with tender bits of lobster that were flavorful, but not drenched in sauce.
Lobster wasn’t available in biz, but I was similarly impressed with the seafood Thermidor I received. In fact, since there was a variety of seafood on offer, including some lighter white fish and scallops, I actually preferred my dish to the lobster, although I could have done with a bit less sauce.
Both had identical accompaniments — buttered asparagus, roasted tomato and saffron rice.
I only managed a few bites of TPG’s lobster, but I was perfectly happy with the lower-cost “seafood” variety. While lobster is certainly a nice treat, I feel like you can’t go wrong with either dish here. Just don’t forget to order ahead by pulling up your reservation on Singapore’s site and picking your entree up to 24 hours before departure.
For more on in-flight dining, see Michael Park’s feature, The Science of Airplane Food: How Chefs Trick Passenger Palates.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.