Singapore Showdown: Lobster Thermidor (First Class) vs. Seafood Thermidor (Biz)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In February, TPG and I flew Singapore’s brand-new A380 from Sydney (SYD) to Changi Airport (SIN). Since we were both on the same flight, we took the opportunity to review different cabins — TPG took one for the team and put that fancy new first-class Suite through the ringer, while I drew the (only slightly) shorter straw and landed a seat in business class.
We both used the carrier’s Book the Cook pre-order option for our main courses, selecting the Thermidor options available for our respective cabins.
For Suites, that meant the traditional lobster Thermidor. It was well-cooked and plated quite nicely, with tender bits of lobster that were flavorful, but not drenched in sauce.
Lobster wasn’t available in biz, but I was similarly impressed with the seafood Thermidor I received. In fact, since there was a variety of seafood on offer, including some lighter white fish and scallops, I actually preferred my dish to the lobster, although I could have done with a bit less sauce.
Both had identical accompaniments — buttered asparagus, roasted tomato and saffron rice.
I only managed a few bites of TPG’s lobster, but I was perfectly happy with the lower-cost “seafood” variety. While lobster is certainly a nice treat, I feel like you can’t go wrong with either dish here. Just don’t forget to order ahead by pulling up your reservation on Singapore’s site and picking your entree up to 24 hours before departure.
For more on in-flight dining, see Michael Park’s feature, The Science of Airplane Food: How Chefs Trick Passenger Palates.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.