Airline industry study warns of massive impacts if FAA’s 5G directive takes effect
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An FAA directive that would ban low-visibility flight operations in the vicinity of certain 5G towers would have impacted 32 million passengers had it been in effect in 2019, a new industry study concludes.
The study, conducted by Airlines for America (A4A), the industry’s lobbying group, also found that 345,000 passenger flights and 5,400 cargo flights would have been impacted in 2019 by either flight delays, flight diversions or cancelations.
All told, A4A forecasts an annual impact cost to passengers of approximately $1.59 billion.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The FAA’s order, known as an airworthiness directive, is based on a study conducted last year that found that a new spectrum of 5G that will soon be used by AT&T and Verizon is interfering with a type of altimeter on aircraft known as a radio (or radar) altimeter.
Pilots use radio altimeters from the ground up to a few thousand feet. The instrument is crucially important during periods of low visibility at airports, when pilots use height data derived from the radio altimeter to determine if it is safe to continue a low-visibility approach. Airplanes can also land themselves — known as an autoland — which also requires functioning radio altimeter data.
The FAA’s airworthiness directive — which would take effect on Jan. 5, when Verizon and AT&T plan to flip the switch on the new spectrum — would require airports to put out a notice to aviators when one of these types of 5G towers is active. That notice would ban low visibility approaches to the airport due to the unreliability of radio altimeter data.
A coalition of stakeholders including A4A, the Air Line Pilots Association (the country’s largest pilot union) and general aviation groups such as the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association and the National Business Aviation Association are sounding the alarm.
“Time is running out before millions of air travelers and the shipping public experience significant disruptions such as flight delays, flight cancelations and backups to the already-stressed supply chain,” the coalition said in a statement on Tuesday.
The coalition on Dec. 6 proposed some mitigation measures, including reducing the power of 5G in certain circumstances and in certain areas that would be critical for flight operations.
Featured photo by Martin Von Castell/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees