Coming soon: Direct Eurostar service from Amsterdam to London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, Eurostar launched its first-ever direct rail service from the Netherlands to the U.K. on its route from Amsterdam to London. Tuesday’s first journey was just a test run but is scheduled to launch for paying passengers on April 30.
Since 2018, Eurostar has operated in the opposite direction from London to Amsterdam. But, due to regulations and border restrictions, passengers taking the return route from Amsterdam to London had to disembark a Thalys-operated train in Brussels, clear customs and then get on to a Eurostar train to complete the journey to the U.K.
Related reading: Second cities: The best destinations to visit from Amsterdam
Once the route officially launches with passenger service in April, travelers can expect to complete the entire journey on a Eurostar train. Instead of a transfer, customs will be cleared at the train’s first stop in Rotterdam before continuing the journey to London via Brussels.
The direct train means slashed journey times, too, taking around four hours and nine minutes at its quickest. Currently, it can take up to six and a half hours.
The independent reports that the schedule for the twice-daily trains will be as follows:
- Amsterdam Centraal 7:48 a.m. Departure ⇒ London St. Pancras 10:57 a.m. Arrival
- Amsterdam Centraal 6:48 p.m. Departure ⇒ London St. Pancras 9:57 p.m. Arrival
Both services will run daily Monday to Friday, with Saturdays seeing only the morning service and Sundays only the evening. Eurostar plans to eventually increase the service to three daily and eventually four daily.
Once tickets for the route go on sale on Feb. 11, tickets will start at £35 (about $45) each way.
Eurostar hopes that the introduction of this direct route back to the U.K. will create an environmentally friendly alternative, rather than passengers taking a flight between the two cities.
The news comes after an announcement in late 2019 that the train company is planning on connecting the U.K. with more direct links to European destinations like Germany.
Featured image by Thierry Monasse/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.