London may soon be connected by high-speed train to more European cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Two of Europe’s biggest railway operators, Eurostar — which operates through the Channel Tunnel — and French-Belgian operator Thalys are planning to merge and create an expansive high-speed rail network. The merger would make way for new direct routes to Europe from London’s St Pancras Station, and make it convenient to take the train instead of flying.
The project, named “Green-Speed”, would allow for the train provider to launch new routes from the UK to at least eight new cities for the first time, including Germany. The aim is to improve connections between Belgium, Britain, France, Germany and the Netherlands.
Britain is already connected to various European destinations through its Eurostar hub at London St. Pancras. Passengers can travel direct to cities and towns such as Amsterdam, Brussels, Calais, Lille, Lyon, Paris and Rotterdam. In the winter season, there are also direct services from London to the Alps.
Perhaps the most interesting additions to the route network would be cities in Germany — the first time it would be possible to travel by rail direct from the UK to cities such as Cologne. The journey would take around five and a half hours and could also reach Aachen, Essen, Dortmund and Dusseldorf. Other new cities would potentially include Antwerp and Liège in Belgium as well as Bordeaux, France, a journey that would take around four and a half hours.
For passengers whose only option is currently to fly from London to cities such as Cologne and Bordeaux, these new, fast connections could potentially save time and money by cutting out travel to and from airports as well as waiting around for boarding and baggage collection. TPG UK put the plane-or-train debate to the test from London to Paris — Eurostar from St Pancras or British Airways from Heathrow (LHR).
The Green-Speed project is backed by both the National Railway Company of Belgium and the French state-owned railway company SNCF. Both companies have a stake in Eurostar and Thalys.
The news comes after KLM, the Netherlands’ flag carrier, announced plans to swap one of its daily flights from Amsterdam (AMS) to Brussels (BRU) with a high-speed rail connection.
Featured image by Thierry Monasse/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees