The EU wants to add a 9-month limit to vaccine eligibility for entry
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this year, the EU reopened to vaccinated travelers after more than a year of border closures. Many countries were allowed to safely reopen with the EU Digital COVID Certificate rollout — and more than 650 million certificates have been issued since this summer.
Yet, the fight to end the COVID-19 pandemic isn’t over. Today, the EU Commission has announced that it is considering a nine-month vaccine validity mandate for travelers as COVID-19 cases are soaring in parts of Europe.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
This nine-month window is based on the guidance of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), giving three additional months to the current recommendation of receiving a booster shot six months after the last dose.
“We have vaccinated over 65% of the total EU population, but this is not enough,” said Stella Kyriakides, Commissioner for Health and Food Safety for the EU Commission. “There are still too many people who are not protected. For everyone to travel and live as safely as possible, we need to reach significantly higher vaccination rates – urgently.”
This proposal is twofold — encouraging those who are unvaccinated to receive their first set of shots and recommending those who are already vaccinated to get their boosters as soon as they become accessible.
Didier Reynders, Commissioner for Justice, said, “Based on our common tool, the EU Digital COVID Certificate, which has become a real standard, we are moving to a ‘person-based’ approach. Our main objective is [to] avoid diverging measures throughout the EU.”
If you have a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate, the EU Commission proposes that you should not be subject to additional tests or quarantine within the EU, based on this person-based approach. However, for those without a certificate, you could be subject to a COVID-19 test before or after arrival.
However, the Commission does not have a clear stance yet on the validity of booster shots. “Given the emerging data, it can be expected that protection from booster vaccinations may last longer than that resulting from the primary vaccination series. The Commission will closely monitor newly emerging scientific evidence on this issue. On the basis of such evidence, the Commission may, if needed, propose an appropriate acceptance period also for vaccination certificates issued following a booster.”
The EU Commission aims to provide further guidance no later than Jan. 10, 2022 — so stay tuned if a nine-month validity period will apply for entry into the EU.
Featured photo by Photo by ERIC LALMAND/BELGA/AFP for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.