This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As of June 1, the country CNN called “Africa’s next big tourist draw” will accept online visa applications from travelers of any nationality, according to a statement from the office of the Prime Minister.
For the time being, only single-entry visas are available online, and cost $52 for a 30-day single entry visa or $72 for a 90-day single entry visa. Applicants must have a passport valid for six months or longer from the date of Ethiopia entry, and travelers holding an e-visa will only be able to enter the country via Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD).
“This will make travel super easy,” Ethiopian Airlines stated via Twitter. Ethiopia’s national carrier has steadily increased its international presence in recent years, including expansion to the US via new routes between Chicago and Addis Ababa to begin tomorrow, June 2, and connecting Newark (EWR) to the Ivory Coast via a new nonstop Dreamliner route.
Previously, e-visas were only available for applicants from 37 countries including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Germany, although most travelers could apply for visas upon arrival at Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD).
The Ethiopian Embassy’s website has not yet been updated with e-visa information as of the time of this post, but the official e-visa application page of the Ethiopian government is up and running, with an important notice at the bottom of the page cautioning travelers to avoid fraudulent visa websites:
Travelers are still advised to check the US Department of State website before travel: The March 6, 2018, advisory regarding Ebola screening at the Addis Ababa airport is still in effect as of today. And on May 25, the State Department issued a scam alert, advising that there are no fees to access the American embassy in Ethiopia, or any of its associated spaces.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that