Emirates is bringing premium economy to the Boeing 777
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates is bringing its new premium economy product to 105 additional Boeing 777s and Airbus A380s, the airline announced Tuesday at the Dubai Airshow.
The refit program kicks off in December 2022, with 52 A380s and 53 777s receiving the new product. On the 777, three rows of premium-economy seats in a 2-4-2 configuration will replace five rows of economy-class seats aft of the business-class cabin, for a total of 24 seats.
Premium economy on the A380 also has a 2-4-2 configuration, located on the main (lower) deck of the aircraft, with 56 seats installed.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly aviation newsletter.
Tuesday’s announcement means Emirates plans a fleet of 111 aircraft with premium economy. Six of the Dubai-based carrier’s A380s will have the product installed by the end of 2021.
Emirates premium economy features a leather seat with a pitch of up to 40 inches, a width of 19.5 inches and a recline of 8 inches into a cradle position, with leg and footrests. The seat features a 13.3-inch personal television, featuring Emirates’ extensive ICE personal entertainment system.
“Emirates is investing in this retrofit program to ensure that we continue to serve our customers’ needs, and provide the best experiences in the sky,” Emirates president Sir Tim Clark said in a statement. “Since we introduced our premium economy seats a year back, we’ve received a hugely positive response. Customers have been amazed by the quality and comfort.”
TPG’s senior aviation business reporter, David Slotnick, who is on site at the airshow, tried the seat out at a static display in the convention hall and said he thought they were the most comfortable premium-economy seats he’s tried.
The premium economy refits will be done entirely at Emirates’ engineering center in Dubai.
“It is also a source of pride that the entire retrofit project will be conducted at our home base in Dubai,” Clark said.
The initial six aircraft with premium economy will debut on routes between Dubai (DXB) and Frankfurt (FRA), London Heathrow (LHR), New York-JFK and Paris (CDG) by the end of December, Emirates said.
Currently, Emirates is operating flights between Dubai (DXB) and Paris (CDG) with aircraft fitted with a premium economy cabin, though it’s not selling premium-economy tickets on these flights. Skywards elite members can select seats in the premium-economy cabin at no extra cost.
For a product due to launch at the end of next month, Emirates premium-economy fares are curiously still not on sale. And the head of Emirates Skywards recently told TPG writer Benji Stawski that award redemptions for premium economy won’t be happening anytime soon.
Featured photo by David Slotnick/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees