This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s largest long-haul carrier, Emirates, said Wednesday that a pilot shortage is forcing the airline to cut some flights heading into the peak season for global travel.
Dubai-based Emirates is seeing its recent lagging sales now boosted by rising oil prices in Gulf economies — meaning more demand for local travel — and increased demand in the US market bouncing back from since-ended restrictions placed by President Donald Trump.
Emirates President Tim Clark said the airline would be short-handed by about 100 to 150 pilots as it tries to meet this increased demand, forcing the carrier to trim back on some routes. Reports say that destinations like Fort Lauderdale (FLL), as well as several European and Asian routes are on the chopping block.
Luckily, Clark said the crew shortage will only be short term. “We’re a tad short in pilots,” he said at the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg. He added that the pilot numbers should be “alright by September or October,” citing several favorable economic factors that will likely make it possible for the airline to meet demand.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees