Emirates Is Cutting Flights Due to a Pilot Shortage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s largest long-haul carrier, Emirates, said Wednesday that a pilot shortage is forcing the airline to cut some flights heading into the peak season for global travel.
Dubai-based Emirates is seeing its recent lagging sales now boosted by rising oil prices in Gulf economies — meaning more demand for local travel — and increased demand in the US market bouncing back from since-ended restrictions placed by President Donald Trump.
Emirates President Tim Clark said the airline would be short-handed by about 100 to 150 pilots as it tries to meet this increased demand, forcing the carrier to trim back on some routes. Reports say that destinations like Fort Lauderdale (FLL), as well as several European and Asian routes are on the chopping block.
Luckily, Clark said the crew shortage will only be short term. “We’re a tad short in pilots,” he said at the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg. He added that the pilot numbers should be “alright by September or October,” citing several favorable economic factors that will likely make it possible for the airline to meet demand.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.