Emirates places massive $16 billion order for 50 Airbus A350s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This year’s event was shaping up to be remarkably dull by comparison, but Emirates just threw us a curveball with an absolutely massive order for Airbus’ latest jet.
On Monday at the Dubai Air Show, Emirates CEO Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum and Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury signed a purchase agreement for 50 Airbus A350-900s, worth $16 billion at today’s list prices. The announcement follows the carrier’s plan from earlier this year to purchase 30 A350s and 40 A330neos.
The world’s largest Airbus A380 operator will be the second largest A350-900 operator as well, just behind Singapore Airlines, which flies two versions of the -900, including an ultra-long-range variant capable of operating the world’s longest flight.
Emirates had also intended to purchase Boeing’s 787 Dreamliners, though there wasn’t any reference to that order today, with the carrier’s CEO stating “Complementing our A380s and 777s, the A350s will give us added operational flexibility in terms of capacity, range and deployment.”
An Emirates spokesperson stated, “We continue to be in discussions with Boeing on the 787s.”
Emirates expects to take delivery of its first A350-900 in May 2023, with deliveries continuing until 2028. The carrier plans to operate the A350 fleet from its Dubai (DXB) hub, serving “a range” of new regional and long-haul markets. The A350s will offer Emirates’ “latest products,” including a yet-to-be-released premium-economy seat.
Featured photo courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.