Emirates places massive $16 billion order for 50 Airbus A350s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This year’s event was shaping up to be remarkably dull by comparison, but Emirates just threw us a curveball with an absolutely massive order for Airbus’ latest jet.
On Monday at the Dubai Air Show, Emirates CEO Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum and Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury signed a purchase agreement for 50 Airbus A350-900s, worth $16 billion at today’s list prices. The announcement follows the carrier’s plan from earlier this year to purchase 30 A350s and 40 A330neos.
The world’s largest Airbus A380 operator will be the second largest A350-900 operator as well, just behind Singapore Airlines, which flies two versions of the -900, including an ultra-long-range variant capable of operating the world’s longest flight.
Emirates had also intended to purchase Boeing’s 787 Dreamliners, though there wasn’t any reference to that order today, with the carrier’s CEO stating “Complementing our A380s and 777s, the A350s will give us added operational flexibility in terms of capacity, range and deployment.”
An Emirates spokesperson stated, “We continue to be in discussions with Boeing on the 787s.”
Emirates expects to take delivery of its first A350-900 in May 2023, with deliveries continuing until 2028. The carrier plans to operate the A350 fleet from its Dubai (DXB) hub, serving “a range” of new regional and long-haul markets. The A350s will offer Emirates’ “latest products,” including a yet-to-be-released premium-economy seat.
Featured photo courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees