Will My Flight Earn Elite Miles If I Pay with a Travel Voucher?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Reader Questions” are answered twice a week by TPG Associate Editor Brendan Dorsey.
You’ve been delayed a few hours due to mechanical issues, and for your troubles, the airline gives you a voucher for $100 off your next flight. But if you’re an elite trying to retain your status for next year like TPG reader Jeff, you might wonder if you’ll earn elite miles when you use that voucher…
My employer used a certificate [voucher] to pay for my flight. Will I earn MQMs on the flight?TPG Reader Jeff
We’ve previously written about whether you’ll earn elite dollars when paying with a voucher — while the answer varies depending on the airline, in most cases the answer is yes, you will. But what about the other important part of qualifying for elite status: the actual physical miles you need to fly on an airline in one year to reach an elite tier?
Fortunately, the three major carriers — American, Delta and United — generally treat travel vouchers like cash when it comes to credit for miles. American’s website specifically confirms that you will earn miles when using a voucher.
United’s answer on its “Earning Miles” FAQ page also appears to confirm this policy:
While both websites refer obliquely to “award miles” rather than specifically to elite miles, data points on FlyerTalk going back many years show that travelers do earn Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) on Delta, Premier Qualifying Miles (PQMs) on United and Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American when using a voucher to purchase a ticket.
So if you’re bumped from your next flight and you receive a voucher, don’t worry — the certificate is definitely an excellent tool to use toward your next mileage run. Thanks for the question, Jeff, and if you’re a TPG reader who’d like us to answer a question of your own, tweet us at @thepointsguy, message us on Facebook or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Featured image of United’s 767-300ER Polaris class by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees