Will My Flight Earn Elite Miles If I Pay with a Travel Voucher?
“Reader Questions” are answered twice a week by TPG Associate Editor Brendan Dorsey.
You’ve been delayed a few hours due to mechanical issues, and for your troubles, the airline gives you a voucher for $100 off your next flight. But if you’re an elite trying to retain your status for next year like TPG reader Jeff, you might wonder if you’ll earn elite miles when you use that voucher…
My employer used a certificate [voucher] to pay for my flight. Will I earn MQMs on the flight?TPG Reader Jeff
We’ve previously written about whether you’ll earn elite dollars when paying with a voucher — while the answer varies depending on the airline, in most cases the answer is yes, you will. But what about the other important part of qualifying for elite status: the actual physical miles you need to fly on an airline in one year to reach an elite tier?
Fortunately, the three major carriers — American, Delta and United — generally treat travel vouchers like cash when it comes to credit for miles. American’s website specifically confirms that you will earn miles when using a voucher.
United’s answer on its “Earning Miles” FAQ page also appears to confirm this policy:
While both websites refer obliquely to “award miles” rather than specifically to elite miles, data points on FlyerTalk going back many years show that travelers do earn Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) on Delta, Premier Qualifying Miles (PQMs) on United and Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) on American when using a voucher to purchase a ticket.
So if you’re bumped from your next flight and you receive a voucher, don’t worry — the certificate is definitely an excellent tool to use toward your next mileage run. Thanks for the question, Jeff, and if you’re a TPG reader who’d like us to answer a question of your own, tweet us at @thepointsguy, message us on Facebook or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Featured image of United’s 767-300ER Polaris class by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.