You Can Now Tell United How Much It’ll Cost to Bump You
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been seven months since Bumpgate, but United is still making changes to better handle the dreaded overbooked flight situation. The airline announced last week that it would introduce a new option for passengers who were traveling on overbooked flights. Now, passengers can tell the airline how much they would need to be offered to be bumped off a flight during the check-in process. United said the program started in early November.
Here’s how it works: If your particular flight is oversold, a page will come up (either on the mobile app or in the airport) asking if you’re willing to volunteer to take a different flight. If you say yes, you’ll see a screen where you can specify the amount you’re willing to accept in exchange for being bumped to a later flight. You can choose from a set list of sums of money, or you can enter a unique amount.
You’ll want to make sure you choose carefully, because once you’ve made your selection you won’t be able to change it. Although, if you decide that you do want to be on your original flight after all, you can notify a United gate agent and they will take you off the volunteer list. It won’t be a live bidding process like before and will likely mean less money for passengers — United said that it “will consider the lowest bids first.”
After Bumpgate rocked United and changed the dynamics of the airline-passenger relationship industry-wide, the carrier introduced 10 policy changes, such as raising maximum compensation for bumped passengers to $10,000 and reducing the overall amount of overbooking. United’s not the only airline that’s enacted new policies after the original Bumpgate incident — Delta’s been using a similar bidding system for quite a while, and raised its maximum payout for a bump to $9,950.
If you’re on a flight and decide to volunteer to be bumped, make sure to read our guide of how to take advantage of airline overbooking.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees