El Al to test nearly 18-hour nonstop between Israel and Australia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Israeli flag carrier El Al aims to join the ranks of ultra long-haul flying with plans to test a new nonstop between Tel Aviv and Melbourne in Australia.
The planned flight will take roughly 16 hours and 45 minutes from Tel Aviv (TLV) to Melbourne (MEL), and the return roughly 17 hours and 45 minutes, according to local reports citing El Al. The airline will operate a Boeing 787-9 on the route that it plans to trial in the second quarter of 2020.
The Australian Ambassador to Israel, Chris Cannan, tweeted Wednesday that the new flight would be a “game changer for tourism and, along with our soon to be ratified tax treaty, a real boon for trade and investment.”
Looking forward to working with our friends at El Al on plans to test direct flights beteeen #Melbourne and #Israel in April next year. This would be a game changer for tourism and, along with our soon to be ratified tax treaty, a real boon for trade and investment. ????????✈️???????? pic.twitter.com/J5rCiDdZJK
— Chris Cannan ???????? (@AusAmbIsrael) November 27, 2019
El Al’s planned test flights will have to contend with the geopolitical realities of the Gulf. The most direct routing from Tel Aviv to Melbourne is 8,535 miles but, due to restrictions on flying through Saudi airspace, the flight is expected to take a more circuitous routing over the Red Sea that could put the distance at up to about 8,900 miles.
Even at 8,900 miles and a flight time of upwards of 18 hours from Melbourne to Tel Aviv, El Al is not likely to change the rankings of the world’s longest routes much. Singapore Airlines’ service between Newark (EWR) and Singapore (SIN) will remain the longest route at 9,534 miles, and other routes like Qantas’ flight between London Heathrow (LHR) and Perth (PER), and Qatar Airways’ flight between Auckland (AKL) and Doha (DOH) longer than the planned El Al service.
Qantas set the record for the longest flight with its Project Sunrise test flights, operating a 9,950-mile nonstop from New York to Sydney in October and then a 10,573-mile nonstop from London to Sydney earlier this month. Both flights were over 19 hours in flight time.
In addition to the new ultra long-haul, El Al plans to return to Chicago O’Hare (ORD) next year after a 13-year hiatus.
Featured image by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees