Travelers with proof of vaccination can now visit Ecuador — including the Galapagos
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers visiting Ecuador who show proof of vaccination can enter the country, according to one of the largest daily newspapers in Ecuador, El Universo.
In October 2020, Ecuador’s National Emergency Operations Committee announced that travelers arriving by air to Quito or Guayaquil must carry a negative PCR test. Travelers visiting the remote Galapagos Islands, which reopened to travelers in July, were also required to have a negative PCR test to enter taken no more than 96 hours prior to arrival. According to Travel Daily News, quick tests are not accepted.
Ecuadorian authorities have released some guidelines for tourists, including:
- Comply with social distancing, at least two meters (2 yards approx.)
- Use of face masks/masks
- Hygiene measures (constant hand washing and disinfection, covering the nose and mouth when yawning or sneezing with the inside of the elbow flexed)
- Extreme precautions for people over 60 years and for vulnerable groups
- Public events are prohibited, as well as crowds.
As of Jan. 26, 2021, everyone age two and older traveling to the U.S. from Ecuador must show a negative viral COVID-19 test result taken within 72 hours of departure before being allowed to board their flights; documented proof from a licensed healthcare provider of recovery from the virus within the past 90 days will also be accepted.
As of June 4, Quito and Guayaquil airports resumed operations. American and United resumed services to both cities, while Eastern, JetBlue and Spirit only operate out of Guayaquil.
The U.S. State Department removed Ecuador from the Global Health Advisory Level 4. Ecuador is now listed as Level 3: Reconsider Travel. Ecuador has reported over 307,000 cases of the novel coronavirus and over 16,000 deaths, according to a Johns Hopkins University coronavirus tracker.
Featured photo by Jesse Kraft / EyeEm / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.