This New Record-Breaking Roller Coaster Accelerates From 0 to 78mph in 2 Seconds
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers who prefer lazy river-type rides, avert your eyes. Six Flags Great America, located an hour outside Chicago, has launched the Maxx Force roller coaster to take thrill-seekers from 0 to 78 miles per hour in less than two seconds. The coaster just opened to the public on July 4.
Maxx Force features the fastest launch of any roller coaster in North America — but not the world. In addition to the speedy acceleration, the Maxx Force breaks two other records. The coaster will feature the world’s fastest inversion, with a 60 mile-per-hour, zero-gravity roll, and if you’re a fan of heights, Maxx Force also has the world’s tallest double inversion (175 feet high). There are a total of five inversions during the ride, for travelers who want every opportunity to lose their lunch. Not sure how 78 miles per hour stacks up? Space Mountain at Disney World is reported to go “just” 29 miles per hour.
Related: Best Credit Cards for Theme Parks
Six Flags pass holders got to experience the ride a day early, on July 3, for a Membership Appreciation Day celebration. The ride opened to the public a day later, just in time for the holiday weekend, but the roller coaster was delayed on Monday, according to the Six Flags website.
As the summer continues, guests could be waiting in line for hours to experience the ride, which only lasts about 30 seconds. Flash Passes (aka Six Flags version of a FastPass) are available for those willing to pay to skip the line. Currently, only the highest level Flash Pass, the Platinum Pass, is available for Maxx Force. The Platinum Pass promises to move guests through the line up to 90% faster and ranges in price from $95 to $155 per person, depending on the date and availability. Guests can only use the Platinum Pass once per day for the Maxx Force coaster, but it includes line reducing perks for many other rides, too.
Should you wish to use points when visiting this insanely speedy coaster, look at the nearby Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center (15,000 IHG points per night) with a free shuttle to the park or the Hampton Inn Chicago / Gurnee that is bookable for 26,000 – 30,000 Hilton Honors points per night with free breakfast.
If going from 0 to 78 miles per hour in two seconds just doesn’t seem fast enough, check out Do-Dodonpa at Fuji-Q Highland in Japan. This roller coaster has the fastest acceleration launch in the world, going from 0 to 112 miles per hour in under two seconds.
Featured image photo courtesy of Six Flags Great America.Edit date and time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees