This New Record-Breaking Roller Coaster Accelerates From 0 to 78mph in 2 Seconds
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers who prefer lazy river-type rides, avert your eyes. Six Flags Great America, located an hour outside Chicago, has launched the Maxx Force roller coaster to take thrill-seekers from 0 to 78 miles per hour in less than two seconds. The coaster just opened to the public on July 4.
Maxx Force features the fastest launch of any roller coaster in North America — but not the world. In addition to the speedy acceleration, the Maxx Force breaks two other records. The coaster will feature the world’s fastest inversion, with a 60 mile-per-hour, zero-gravity roll, and if you’re a fan of heights, Maxx Force also has the world’s tallest double inversion (175 feet high). There are a total of five inversions during the ride, for travelers who want every opportunity to lose their lunch. Not sure how 78 miles per hour stacks up? Space Mountain at Disney World is reported to go “just” 29 miles per hour.
Related: Best Credit Cards for Theme Parks
Six Flags pass holders got to experience the ride a day early, on July 3, for a Membership Appreciation Day celebration. The ride opened to the public a day later, just in time for the holiday weekend, but the roller coaster was delayed on Monday, according to the Six Flags website.
As the summer continues, guests could be waiting in line for hours to experience the ride, which only lasts about 30 seconds. Flash Passes (aka Six Flags version of a FastPass) are available for those willing to pay to skip the line. Currently, only the highest level Flash Pass, the Platinum Pass, is available for Maxx Force. The Platinum Pass promises to move guests through the line up to 90% faster and ranges in price from $95 to $155 per person, depending on the date and availability. Guests can only use the Platinum Pass once per day for the Maxx Force coaster, but it includes line reducing perks for many other rides, too.
Should you wish to use points when visiting this insanely speedy coaster, look at the nearby Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center (15,000 IHG points per night) with a free shuttle to the park or the Hampton Inn Chicago / Gurnee that is bookable for 26,000 – 30,000 Hilton Honors points per night with free breakfast.
If going from 0 to 78 miles per hour in two seconds just doesn’t seem fast enough, check out Do-Dodonpa at Fuji-Q Highland in Japan. This roller coaster has the fastest acceleration launch in the world, going from 0 to 112 miles per hour in under two seconds.
Featured image photo courtesy of Six Flags Great America.Edit date and time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.