This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
365 days per year, you can earn airline miles or bonus cash back when shopping online just by clicking through a shopping portal first to get to the retailer of your choice (here’s how), but today is extra special. Today is Ebates’s (now known as Rakuten) 20th anniversary. The site is celebrating by giving customers up to 20% cash back on online purchases at popular retailers such as Macy’s, Saks Fifth Avenue, Shoes.com, Walgreens, Bloomingdales, Dick’s Sporting Goods and more. If you are okay with “just” 15% cash back, then you can pick from hundreds of additional stores, including Orbitz, Travelocity, Backcountry, ShopDisney, Madewell, JCPenney, Veronica Beard and beyond.
Many of these sites normally provide just 1% – 5% cash back, so this is a huge cash back increase that is valid for only about 12 more hours. If you prefer points over cash back, then know that new Ebates members can earn Amex Membership Rewards points instead of 15 – 20% cash back. Sadly, this points option has not been rolled out to existing members quite yet, but if you are setting up a new account then that’s an option.
Our tests show that those who have chosen to earn points can earn 15 Membership Rewards points per dollar via today’s offer, but it will display as 15% cash back.
You can stack these 15x earnings by using an Amex Offer if there is one available to you at your chosen retailer. I currently see Amex Offers available at 15/20x retailers such as: eBags, Ralph Lauren and Vince. If you are shopping at Saks Fifth Avenue online and paying with The Platinum Card® from American Express, you can even use your $50 Saks statement credit (just be sure and register first). Or you can stack The Business Platinum® Card from American Express’ new $100 Dell statement credit, a few other Dell Amex Offers and the Ebates 15x/15% shopping portal bonus.
If you are new to Ebates, you can get $10 in bonus cash back with your first purchase of $25, taking today’s earnings up even higher. If you want to earn Membership Rewards points via your Ebates purchases, there’s an even better new customer bonus of 1,500 bonus Membership Rewards points after you make $25 in purchases.
Since TPG values Membership Rewards points at 2 cents each, that is like earning $30 in points with a $25 purchase, and that’s not to mention the up to 15 points per dollar you can earn at a variety of retailers.
Whether you want to earn points or cash back, just remember that this 20th Ebates anniversary bonus is valid today only.
Featured image by Lisa Weatherbee/The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees