This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Tuesday, Turkish carrier Pegasus Airlines had to conduct an emergency landing after a passenger’s electronic cigarette caught fire mid-flight.
Flight 1135, operated by a Boeing 737-800, was en-route to Paris-Orly (ORY) after taking off from Istanbul (SAW) when the incident occurred.
Flight crew were alerted when the aircraft’s smoke alarms went off in the cargo hold — allegedly due to an e-cigarette’s battery bursting into flames. Pilots decided to perform an emergency landing at Zagreb (ZGB) in Croatia — about halfway along their journey to Paris.
FlightRadar24 captured the diverted aircraft’s flight path:
Passengers were evacuated upon landing and images show emergency vehicles surrounding the aircraft in Zagreb. Turkish Air News reports that “no intervention by fire brigade needed.” It’s possible the aircraft’s fire suppression system extinguished the flames.
No injuries were reported, and the Daily Sabah reports that the airline has denied claims that the landing was caused by an engine failure.
In a recent study, the US Federal Aviation Administration found that a single lithium battery has the potential to take down an entire aircraft. It said that if a battery overheats and explodes in an aircraft’s cargo hold, the plane’s fire suppression system may not be strong enough to extinguish the fire.
Earlier this year, a Pegasus 737-800 skidded off a runway in Trabzon, Turkey, and nearly ended up in the Black Sea.
Featured image courtesy of Turkish Aviation News / Twitter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees