E-Cigarette Catches Fire Midflight, Forces Emergency Landing
On Tuesday, Turkish carrier Pegasus Airlines had to conduct an emergency landing after a passenger’s electronic cigarette caught fire mid-flight.
Flight 1135, operated by a Boeing 737-800, was en-route to Paris-Orly (ORY) after taking off from Istanbul (SAW) when the incident occurred.
Flight crew were alerted when the aircraft’s smoke alarms went off in the cargo hold — allegedly due to an e-cigarette’s battery bursting into flames. Pilots decided to perform an emergency landing at Zagreb (ZGB) in Croatia — about halfway along their journey to Paris.
FlightRadar24 captured the diverted aircraft’s flight path:
Passengers were evacuated upon landing and images show emergency vehicles surrounding the aircraft in Zagreb. Turkish Air News reports that “no intervention by fire brigade needed.” It’s possible the aircraft’s fire suppression system extinguished the flames.
No injuries were reported, and the Daily Sabah reports that the airline has denied claims that the landing was caused by an engine failure.
In a recent study, the US Federal Aviation Administration found that a single lithium battery has the potential to take down an entire aircraft. It said that if a battery overheats and explodes in an aircraft’s cargo hold, the plane’s fire suppression system may not be strong enough to extinguish the fire.
Earlier this year, a Pegasus 737-800 skidded off a runway in Trabzon, Turkey, and nearly ended up in the Black Sea.
Featured image courtesy of Turkish Aviation News / Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.