Drunk Japan Airlines Pilot Was Nearly 10x Over Legal Alcohol Limit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A pilot for Japan Airlines pleaded guilty on Thursday to having a blood alcohol level that was nearly 10 times the legal limit for pilots before a flight from London to Tokyo.
The pilot, Katsutoshi Jitsukawa, appeared in a west London magistrate court and admitted to the charge. The 42-year-old pilot said in court that he had drunk two bottles of wine and a pitcher of beer the night before the flight, according to Japanese news station NHK.
Jitsukawa was arrested on Sunday at London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR), the airline told the AP, for violating British aviation law. The driver of an airport crew bus smelled alcohol on the pilot and reported the pilot to the police, NHK reported. Tests showed that Jitsukawa’s system had 189 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood. That is nearly 10 times the pilot blood alcohol limit of 20 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood. The UK’s blood alcohol limit for drivers is 80 milligrams.
The court ordered that Jitsukawa be detained until his sentencing on Nov. 29.
The 12-hour flight from London to Tokyo was delayed more than an hour due to the incident, and ended up being operated by the two remaining JAL pilots assigned to the trip. JAL apologized to passengers for the incident.
Featured image of a Japan Airlines 777-300ER by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.