DashPass members now get free delivery through Caviar — here’s how to activate your membership
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the two food delivery companies now officially one, DoorDash is working hard to migrate Caviar’s backend systems into its own. You may have noticed that the two apps now look almost identical and your login information can now be used on both platforms.
The latest development: DashPass members can now maximize their free delivery perks on both DoorDash and Caviar orders. While Caviar offered DashPass members free delivery for a limited time earlier this year, this benefit is now here to stay.
Best of all, you might already have access to a free DashPass membership and you don’t even know it.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
How to get free delivery on Caviar
Effective immediately, DashPass benefits now work on Caviar, too. This means that you can get free delivery and reduced service fees across thousands of participating restaurants on both DoorDash and Caviar.
All you need to do is to sign in to the Caviar app using your DoorDash username and password. Then, place an order of $12 or more from any restaurant with a blue DashPass checkmark next to it. You should see the discount automatically reflected on the checkout on the checkout page — no promo code is necessary.
Activating your free DashPass membership
Earlier this year, Chase added DashPass membership as a perk to a number of its cards, including the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve®, Chase Freedom Unlimited® and the Chase Freedom Flex. Both Sapphire-branded cards offer complimentary DashPass for at least one year, while the Freedom cards above will get you a complimentary three months and then a 50% discount for at least one year.
Related: The best credit cards for dining
To register, simply add your eligible card to the DoorDash or Caviar app. You’ll then be prompted to activate your free DashPass membership. Note that you must use your eligible card to pay for your orders in order to use the benefits.
In addition to the DashPass membership, the Chase Sapphire Reserve gives cardholders up to $60 in DoorDash credit in both 2020 and again in 2021. You’ll automatically receive a statement credit whenever you make an eligible purchase, up to the $60 cap. However, you’ll want to remember that the statement credit is only redeemable on DoorDash and not Caviar.
While this will primarily benefit people who live in large cities, it’s nice to see that DoorDash is expanding DashPass benefits.
For those unacquainted with Caviar, the food ordering service is essentially the same as DoorDash but features more independent and local restaurant selections in 28 major cities across the U.S. It stands out by offering many “only on Caviar” exclusive restaurants and unique food categories like, “Women-Powered” and “Healthy Enough” (the latter is vetted by nutritionists).
Liz Hund contributed to this post.
Featured photo by Oscar Wong/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.