No domestic travel testing mandate from Biden for now, according to report
There’s been chatter — and hand-wringing — in the travel world about whether the Biden administration will require travelers to present negative COVID-19 tests for domestic flights.
Delta Air Lines’ CEO called the potential move a “horrible idea,” while the industry trade organization Airlines for America (A4A) called it “unwarranted.” Now, according to a report by Bloomberg, President Joe Biden is said to not be seriously considering a testing mandate for domestic travel.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters on Friday that reports of a “new requirement, such as testing” are “not accurate.”
But TPG spoke to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg last week, who, at the time, didn’t rule out the idea.
“There’s a conversation underway with the CDC on that,” he said last week. “What I can tell you is that the guiding lights of that conversation will be a lot of engagement and dialogue and a lot of attention to evidence and data.”
As we’ve reported previously, requiring COVID-19 tests for domestic travel could seriously discourage travelers, who may see it as an additional roadblock during an already complicated travel experience.
It could also be prohibitively expensive for some people, who may need to pay an out-of-pocket fee if they aren’t covered by insurance.
And it’s unclear how a domestic testing mandate would be enforced, what modes of transportation would be affected and whether there’s even the capacity for that much testing. Even now, finding a reliable place to get a timely COVID-19 test for travel is an ongoing challenge.
Currently, all travelers flying into the U.S. from abroad are required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test before boarding. But, as Bloomberg pointed out, the number of international arrivals makes this testing requirement far more feasible.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has said that most viruses don’t spread easily on flights because of air circulation. However, the agency also noted that social distancing would be difficult on packed flights, and being in an enclosed space for hours “may increase” your risk of catching the virus.
Featured photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees