Magic Bands not required: Disney World introduces new technology to enter the parks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In 2013, Disney World introduced wearable Magic Bands as a fun, colorful way for guests to experience a vacation that was free of managing room key cards, park tickets and constantly digging around for cash.
Instead, you could use the Magic Band on your wrist to tap into your Disney resort hotel room, pay for purchases, enter the park and more.
But, times change. While Magic Bands are still available at Disney World, they are no longer included for free with the cost of a resort stay. Increasingly, they aren’t even needed as your phone or Apple Watch can now do many of those same functions — and more — without having to wear a just-for-Disney wrist accessory.
Today, technology at Disney World took a big leap forward as Disney launched MagicMobile for Apple devices.
This means you can use your Disney tickets to enter the theme parks and more courtesy of the tech built directly into your phone or watch, which means one less thing to keep up with when you’re on vacation with Mickey.
Set up Disney MagicMobile Pass
First things first: If you didn’t already bring a back-up phone charger on trips to Disney World, it’s time to add that to your packing list.
The My Disney Experience app is officially a must-have as it’s not only where you set up your MagicMobile tickets, but it’s also how you order food, make dining reservations, unlock your hotel door, access the virtual queue for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, check wait times, view your plans and Park Pass reservations and more.
You can no longer really maximize a day at Disney World without your smartphone, so having a portable power bank (or two) is now crucial.
When it comes to setting up the Disney MagicMobile pass, head to the My Disney Experience app on your Apple device and select the Disney MagicMobile Pass.
Related: Guide to visiting Disney World
From there, you can select which members of your Disney friends and family lineup you’d like to include in your MagicMobile account and customize the look of each MagicMobile pass with different designs.
Parents who need to manage passes for multiple family members who don’t all have a smart device can easily do that from one account.
When it comes time to enter the parks, you will hold your phone or watch near an access point, just like you would a MagicBand. You don’t even have to unlock your device or open the Disney app to use the MagicMobile pass when it’s in express mode, which seems pretty exciting for its ease of use.
However, if you’re managing multiple passes for friends and family, you’ll need to double click or hold your fingers on the home button to open Apple Wallet, then swipe the passes to use them.
Disney World is always changing, and this year is no exception. You need a park pass reservation to enter the parks, Magic Bands are no longer free, the Disney Magical Express Bus will end after this year, Extra Magic Hours and FastPass+ are not available and now … your iPhone or Apple Watch can act as your ticket thanks to the magic of the new MagicMobile Pass.
Featured image courtesy of Disney Parks
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees