This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s already time to start planning your spend for next year. Discover it® Cash Back cardmembers get 5% cash-back on rotating categories that change every quarter, and now Discover has announced all four categories for 2019.
The categories and their corresponding dates are as follows :
- January – March 2019: 5% back at grocery stores
- April – June 2019: 5% back at gas stations, Uber and Lyft
- July – September 2019: 5% back at Restaurants
- October – December 2019: 5% back at Amazon.com
It’s nice to see most of the categories, many of which are similar to 2018’s, are pretty broad-based making it easier to maximize your rewards. Note that you can only earn 5% in each quarter upon enrollment, on up to $1,500 in purchases, you’ll earn 1% back after hitting the $1,500 limit and 1% back on all other purchases.
What makes the Discover it Cash Back enticing is that in the first year after signing up for the card, Discover will match your cash-back you earned over the previous 12 months. So if you can max out each category in each quarter, you can potential earn 10% back on $6,000 — for a total of $600. That’s not too shabby for a no-annual fee cash-back card.
If you’re interested in other cards with rotating bonus categories, the Chase Freedom offers 5% back in a similar fashion to the Discover it Cash Back. Additionally, if you have an Ultimate Rewards earning card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, you can earn 5x Ultimate Rewards with the Freedom.
Or if you want a straight cash-back card, the Discover it® Miles earns 1.5 miles (equivalent to 1.5% cash-back) on all purchases and Discover will match your cash-back at the end of your first cardmember year — meaning you’re earning 3% cash-back on all purchases for the first 12 months of card membership.
Featured image by The Points Guy staff.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees