Dining on the Dash at DFW? Delivery Service Now Available at C Gates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Time-crunched travelers at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport have a new – fast – way to get something to eat in American Airlines’ Terminal C.
At three, easy-to-spot self-service kiosks along Terminal C (at gates C6, C19 and C35) travelers can now order meals from an assortment of restaurants and wait no longer than 20 minutes for a courier to arrive at the kiosk with their food.
The pilot program at DFW is a partnership between mobile-ordering app Grab, which lets travelers order food to be picked up at dining venues in many US and UK airports, and Airport Sherpa, which has been offering gate delivery of meals and retail items at Baltimore-Washington International Airport since 2017.
For now, there is no delivery charge for the gate service at DFW. There are nine participating food venues, operated by various concessionaires, including Bánh Shop, Caribou Coffee/Einstein Bros. Bagels, Chili’s, Freshens, Maggiano’s Little Italy, Pizza Hut, Shake Shack and TGI Fridays.
A Grab spokesperson said more restaurants are being signed up for the DFW pilot program.
Here’s how it works:
Each Grab kiosks has two (wheelchair-accessible) touchscreens with point-to-point encrypted (P2PE) payment devices that allow travelers to browse menus and place orders. Once a purchase is made, a traveler gets a message on their mobile device with information about their order and updates on when the Airport Sherpa runner is scheduled to arrive. (Customers can also order at the kiosk and choose to go pick up their own order.)
Here’s a short video that shows how the system works:
?? Grabbing a bite to eat at the Airport just got easier. Now you can order from a variety of restaurants and have the food delivered right to you, for free. Avoid standing in line and check out one of our three Grab kiosks located in Terminal C.?C6, ?C19 ?C35 pic.twitter.com/0qVMj86cOn
— DFW Airport (@DFWAirport) May 10, 2019
Gate delivery of meals is a welcome amenity at DFW because “more than half of our customers are connecting to another flight,” said Zenola Campbell, Vice President, Concessions at DFW Airport. “These kiosks will provide a convenient solution for them to order food on the go.”
Campbell says DFW will monitor the pilot program and expand the service to other terminals if the Terminal C effort is popular with customers.
The Grab/Airport Sherpa kiosks are just the latest twist in a growing list of options for travelers who want to grab meals to take on planes or who want to eat within sight of their gates.
Both Grab and HMSHost’s Host2Coast app let passengers search for restaurants and grab-n’-go venues at airports, place orders and save time by having meals packed for pick-up from express lines.
In addition to Airport Sherpa, which now offers gate delivery at both BWI and DFW Terminal C, At Your Gate now provides gate delivery of meals at airports in San Diego (SAN), Portland (PDX), Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP), and in some terminals at Newark Liberty (EWR) and New York’s LaGuardia (LGA) and JFK airports.
And, of course, there’s OTG, which has installed thousands of iPads in gate-hold areas at eight airports — EWR, LGA, JFK, MSP, Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH), Philadelphia (PHL), Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and Washington Reagan National (DCA) — that allow passengers to order food and drinks delivered from nearby restaurants and bars.
Featured image: Courtesy of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees